PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Due to on-going health concerns, I'm allowing myself precious little pipe smoking. That being said, on these now rare occasions, I try to make them really count. So the other night for a first smoke in a couple weeks, I took a flake of Wessex Brown Virginia Flake and a flake of Solani Aged Burley Flake, rubbed them both out thoroughly, then rubbed them together thoroughly, pretty much in equal proportions, packed the pipe, and lit up.
In the words of Prince Vladimir's envoy's to Constantinople, "I no longer knew whether I was in heaven or on earth!" I mean IT WAS THAT GOOD!!! I just had to share this with my heartiest recommendation!
My best holiday wishes to all my pipester brethren and sistern here on The Forum! ENJOY your smokes!! :puffy:
Jerry

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Thanks for the info! Glad you enjoyed your pipeful! Going to look at the Virginia Flake next time I'm thinking of ordering. I love the ABF.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Due to on-going health concerns, I'm allowing myself precious little pipe smoking.
Sorry to hear that. :|
Your combo sounds really good though ... one heck of a Va/Bur!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That sounds like a nice Virginia, Burley blend. I have both of those blends, so maybe down the road when I crack those tins open I may have to give that a try. I love to mix different tobacco blends together. The other night I had a small amount of MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired and some MacBaren HH Mature Virginia and mixed those to blends together. It made for a really nice blend as well.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
"Mixing it up" makes me feel like the kid with a chemistry set the first time I made a moderately successful "gun powder" from scratch!! The time before the above, I mixed some Dunhill 3 Year Matured with some Mac Baren Virginia #1 and that was a hoot too! Sorta like a creamy coffee-y egg-noggy holiday drink with light zippy zest of citrus and a happy smile! It's been sort of like "well, I really like this about this one, and that about that one, and would they pair well together?" And if my imagination says they might, I give 'er a go! Since my frequency of bowls is way down, I've been trying not to open new tins until others are cleared out... mixing it up has been creating some fun variety! And at my present rate, my cellar should last until 2384 when the Starship Enterprise beams me up to 10Forward!
Metalheady... LOVE that Ol' Dark Fired as well... and to dream of it wedded with HH MatVA sounds MARVELOUS!! Speaking of HH ODF...

Cobguy... I've parsed out those Mac Baren Old Dark Fired flakes like precious nectar and ambrosia!!! One holy flake left!!! Maybe for Xmas Eve!! Thanks again!!! :D :D :D

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I would like to try your mixtures, but there isn't any Wessex Brown Virginia Flake in the Netherlands.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you can get that worked out.
As for your mixture that sounds great. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.