PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Just picked up this Fiat 500c. So does this Italian 5 speed convertible count as a midlife crisis? Either way it is fun and economical new ride.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Better the Fiat than a Porsche 911! Congrats and enjoy the ride. Will it be a smoking car? Whenever I get a new car I'm loathe to smoke in it, but eventually I do. Usually long before the new car smell wears off. LOL.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've admired Fiat 500's since they came out. They have a lot of style and attitude, and really give

small, fuel efficient cars a boost. Some months ago my wife and I rented one; we were really amused

the car rental place even had them. This one was not a convertible, had an automatic tranny, and didn't

have a.c., but we were impressed anyway. The aerodynamics are really well done; we were navigating

little two-lane country roads, these big 18-wheelers would come roaring past, and our little Fiat didn't

even blink. So many small cars get shouldered over in the backwash of air. And even with automatic,

it was totally peppy and responsive. We somewhat fell in love with it. It was an interesting bright pea

soup green. My wife thought it looked like a Hamilton Beech milkshake mixer. We transported a relative

with a walker once or twice, and the walker slipped right in the hatchback with no problem, very

versatile. So, yes, dpkrause, you are right in the throes of a big mid-life crisis, and doing well.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I don't think it counts as a mid-life crisis until you revert to trying to race the guy next to you at the stoplight. Nice ride though; how is it on cabin room though? I'm a taller guy myself and I've been eyeing a new compact myself.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Did it come with a complementary box of tampons??!! J/k J/k.

Always fun to get a new ride, hope you enjoy it!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Did it come with a complementary box of tampons??!!
lol!
Funny, but the J-Lo commercials really did the car a disservice. To me the car's got a nice 1950s euro/Italian vibe all over. That's what I like about it.
top-10-cars-of-the-1950s-fiat-500.jpg

I was looking at the FIAT and the MINI. My wife and I went with the MINI for a number of reasons - not the least of which was the fact that a dealership was to be opened soon in our state of VT (we bought ours in another state before the dealership opened).
Still, I wouldn't mind having the FIAT in my garage next to my MINI.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
It is surprisingly room up front, but it has no real back seat or trunk space. That is ok since this is a back and forth to work car. I go 55 miles one way to work at mostly 60 mph. Got the premium sound system and the leather seats are being installed on Friday.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It is surprisingly room up front, but it has no real back seat or trunk space. That is ok since this is a back and forth to work car. I go 55 miles one way to work at mostly 60 mph. Got the premium sound system and the leather seats are being installed on Frida
Nice - I also got the premium sound system, was worth the extra $$.
The MINI also has no back seat (or very little). My two daughters (ages 8 + 10) fit alright, but an adult would be cramped.
I use it for my daily commute (averages 40mpg) - d you know what does the FIAT gets?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That's about 2 gallons for a 110 mile commute. That's fantastic. Motorcycle fuel efficiency and you have the bonus of staying dry when it rains. I like the fiat. Well done dpkrause.
edit: Oops that's 60mph not mpg. Still even if the same as the mini at 40 mpg that's still the way to go.

Dec 24, 2012
I like the look of those 500s. Unfortunately, I am a big guy at 6' 4" so I don't think I could squeeze my left nut into one of those things without needing the Jaws of Life to extract it.

Dec 24, 2012
My wife drives a little Audi A3 TDI. It shocks me what mileage that car gets on the diesel engine - all with plenty of low end torque. She gets easily more than 1000 km on a tank (and the tank ain't that big). If they put a diesel in a Mini or a Fiat I would probably get her that next time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love the 500, particuarly with the roll back canvas roof. "Automobile" recently did a very favorable editorial on the car and a long term test report in Autoweek was also very favorable, they recorded a 35 mpg avg! Those Abarth tv commercials are definitely memorable! Enjoy that little gem.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Sat in one that was on display at an event one time. My eyes were approximately in line with the top of the windshield, with the rest of my head sticking out. I COULD ride in one with the top down -- but bugs would smash into my forehead.
I have a warm spot for Fiats as I learned to drive stick in my sister's 1500 about 40 years or so ago. It was indeed a Fix It Again Tony, but much loved.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I think, in our hobby, everything we do may be viewed as a midlife crisis. But this DEFINITELY raises the bar! :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.