My McClelland Haul / Who Is the Best Producer of Virginias Now?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I'm very much a pipe smoking neophyte. Having tried samples where I can, I began to see a recurring theme - McClelland tobaccos. I hadn't been on the site in a while, so I missed the rumors, but a friend shared the news about their closing.
Having the tax return in hand, I managed to find my two favorite bulks at Cup O' Joes. As much as I wanted to clean them out, the price tag was too painful. So now I have 40 oz. of #110 and 24 of #402. Those were going to be my, "go to, everyday" tobaccos. Damn!
Now that they're shuttering the doors, who should I be looking at for quality Virginia blends? I seem to be trending towards reasonably mild tobaccos.
26809637858_a571145763_b.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like Sam Gawith, but there are a few.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/who-is-the-best-virginia-blender-with-mcclelland-now-gone

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
Ah, thank you! I didn't see that. It's getting bookmarked.
On a side note, my kitchen smells fantastic at the moment just from the closed bags.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hoggarth, C&D, GL Pease, HU, Rattray's, Hearth & Home, Motzek, Peter Heinrichs, MacBaran, Wessex, etc. These aren't like McClelland Virginias, but they're just fine in their own way.
It's funny how in the years I've been on this forum, McClelland rarely got a mention, with the exception of Christmas Cheer. Now that they've closed their doors, everyone is gnashing their teeth and rending sack cloth over it.

May 4, 2015
It's funny how in the years I've been on this forum, McClelland rarely got a mention, with the exception of Christmas Cheer. Now that they've closed their doors, everyone is gnashing their teeth and rending sack cloth over it.
The "Esoterica Effect." A product's desirability increases linearly with its difficulty to obtain. This function exists independently of its objective quality. ;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The "Esoterica Effect." A product's desirability increases linearly with its difficulty to obtain. This function exists independently of its objective quality. ;)
Ain't that the truth! Note that I didn't list Esoterica, not because all the blends suck, though some do, but because they're such a pain in the fundament to find.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Good observation, Jesse.
A while back, I mentioned that I was cellering five pounds of each of McClelland's flakes. Barely a word was said by the herd here. There was a bit of awe expressed over the fact that you can fit five pounds of flake into a dozen pint jars, but that was the extent of the excitement.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
The 1st tobacco that got its hooks into me was Tinderbox 1928 Reserve. The stupid price is what forced me to branch out, which ultimately was an enormous positive. I didnt' know it was made by McClelland until after taking a shining to them.
Now is my next future favorite going to bite the dust? Jinx? ;)

May 4, 2015
Hey woods, you feel like sellin' any of those bulks?! :)
Seriously though, doing exactly what you did had always been on my radar but life happened and the funds never presented themselves. I was a late bird, and I got no worms. C'est la vie!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Frog's, when they got mentioned at all, got mentioned mostly as a "crossover" blend, something to smoke on your way from smoking aros to getting accustomed to "real" English blends.
This isn't to disparage McClelland tobaccos. I love their reds and I could smoke 2015 all day any day, but they weren't for everybody and there are a lot of experienced smokers who didn't care for them. McClelland was never the only game in town. Go explore what others are doing with Virginias.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Wessex Red, Gold, and even Brown, plus Campaign Brigade. I haven't found anything better than that, except some of the McClelland blends.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think there is a replacement for McClelland Virginia blends. They had a unique flavor I've tasted with no other blend. Best or not? That is like arguing over whether, Michael, Kobe or LeBron is the all time greatest. Each were different and unique. Many excellent alternatives have been mentioned. I managed to inventory a considerable amount of McClelland product before it was gone. I'll savor it for a long time. But I'll also enjoy many others as I smoke on. Harris's list is a pretty good starting point for sure. Now that he says he's done buying, some should be available for the rest of us. :puffy:

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Seems a lot of people like their blends, but I never got into them. Gawith and Hoggarth makes a good flake in Bright CR. Slight lakeland, even when it's unscented, but I enjoy it. Same for the Perique flake they have. I get pretty consistent enjoyment out of GL Pease blends as well. Unfortunately, my bet is that these things will just get more expensive or outright disappear.
Still loads of choice. I too find it interesting that they're only getting a huge bump in popularity now that they're gone. Not that they weren't good (they obviously had a following), but I suspect you'll have little trouble finding blends you enjoy in this moment. It's a matter of taste, I think. For me, I never gave them a third look after I tried a few. Other blenders just spoke to me more, and there is still an unbelievable range to choose from... especially for you Americans. And the price! Some people just don't know how good they have it.
However, my sympathies to anyone who fell in love with them. It is always sad to lose something you have been enjoying... and also sad that such a large blender is no more.
I have generally been against it -for my own personal taste of enjoying most blends fresh- but if you find something you truly can't live without... you had better consider the future, which might be coming sooner than you think. It is uncertain, and honestly, the writing is on the wall with tobacco. Cigarettes are even becoming a niche activity in most countries. Doesn't bode well for long term pipe enjoyment, which is even more rarified.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I've got this thread bookmarked. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Here's the last of my McClelland...
39787754565_93c99e84c9_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.