Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My Mason Jars are Already Sealing!

(21 posts)
  1. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have read much about using Mason jars for storage, I have been doing so for 3 months and of the 22 jars, half have now already sealed themselves so they no longer make the "cricket" sound when I press on the top. Am I just lucky or does this happen fairly fast?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It really depends on the tobacco and how full it is. I have some that have been in jars for awhile that have not sealed yet but most have. I will be sitting here and then hear a pop as they seal. Its a comforting feeling though.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I hear an occasional pop from the 12 cases of jars in my cellar. No tellin' what percentage that comes to.
    Is that suction important for aging? I've opened many jars that had not yet sealed, and the tobacco seemed OK.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I first began storing tobacco in jars, I was asleep one night in the same room and (I kid you not...scouts honor) four of my jars sealed simultaneously. All within about 2 seconds. I was awaken suddenly by the sound of "ping...pang ping...pang" Scared the freaking crap out of me. I woke up and looked all over the place for what the sound was or came from... peeking out my window, making sure my door and windows were good and locked. Kept the lights off and had a very big knife in my hand lol. After determining there was no funny stuff going on, I looked all over the place just trying to figure out what the noise was, and then I remembered reading about jars sealing here on the forums. So, I checked my jars and sure enough some of them had sealed. I'll never forget that.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. aquilas

aquilas

Login to Send PM

It's a good sound to hear =]

I remember when I heard my first "pop", my girlfriend started getting scared because she didn't know what the sounds were or where they were coming from.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think they are creating a vacuum when you cant get the top to click anymore. I think they are are sealed once you put the inner lid on and screw down the outer lid.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the most part it's the weather. Not whether they are "sealed" or not. Unless you screwed the tops on with REALLY hot air inside, allowing them to "seal" when that air cools, it's that the barometer is generally higher in the winter, even if the temperature in your house remains the same all year. That, and most people don't heat their house as warm in the winter as they cool it down to in the Summer.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahahahahahaha! I'm so glad somebody addressed the sealing noises! I sleep with the jars near my bed, next to the window and I was freaked out when I heard the popping. My experience parallels AnythonyRosenthal74's. I never realized that's what was making the noises until I read this thread.

I put an ounce of tobacco in a pint jar and found that it was sealed within 2-3 days.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

POP goes the jar lid...

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, they do indeed seal at times. I've never heard the lids 'pop' as I have all of my jars in the basement in a very large cooler (damn cold in the winter). But, it really doesn't make any difference to me as I eventually pop them open when I wish to delve into a particular jar and smoke a bowl. However, if by chance the lid pops down that does not mean you cannot use it again as the suction created is not that strong and they will, eventually, 'collapse' again. Even if you feel that the lid has lost it's integrity to 'collapse', as it were, does not necessarily mean that it is useless to keep the jar sealed. But, when in doubt purchase new lids as they are very cheap whereas tobacco is not!

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless you're cooking your tobacco, that "pop" means absolutely nothing except that the temperature is colder and/or the barometric pressure is higher than the moment when you first tightened the lid.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

When I first began storing tobacco in jars, I was asleep one night in the same room and (I kid you not...scouts honor) four of my jars sealed simultaneously. All within about 2 seconds. I was awaken suddenly by the sound of "ping...pang ping...pang" Scared the freaking crap out of me. I woke up and looked all over the place for what the sound was or came from... peeking out my window, making sure my door and windows were good and locked...

That is the tobacco fairy sprinkling Dunhill dust, that activates the seal.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. dlgillen

dlgillen

Login to Send PM

911 whats your emergency? ....."I was awaken suddenly by the sound of "ping...pang ping...pang" Scared the freaking crap out of me. I woke up and looked all over the place for what the sound was or came from... peeking out my window, making sure my door and windows were good and locked."

:rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Dan ~ A classic Virginia Flake
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have mine in a cabinet, so I have never heard them pop, but many if not most have...it would be interesting to know when different blends in a controlled situation sealed themselves.

It is nice to feel the lid knowing that it has compressed.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was more like:
    My Cousin Vinny - Owl Scene

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

I've had several do that to me. Scared me when I first heard them. It's usually been in the fall/winter for me.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had many a jar pop on me on the way home from the store where I just bought them. It's just a temperature/pressure differential.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. ravenwolf

ravenwolf

Login to Send PM

Scared the hell out of me in the first time I heard a jar pop like that. Rather baffling as well.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. bulletsnbriars

bulletsnbriars

Login to Send PM

Haha I laughed so hard at the video of the guy with the owl. I am rarely home alone; so when I am every strange sound is met with my 12 gauge. Jumpy person, can relate haha.

I have a box full of mason jard that pinge occasionally. I somehow find it kind of soothing.

"Of course you can save money by denying yourself all those little vicious enjoyments for fifty years; but then what can you do with it? What use can you put it to? Money can't save your infinitesimal soul. All the use that money can be put to is to purchase comfort and enjoyment in this life; therefore, as you are an enemy to comfort and enjoyment where is the use of accumulating cash?" -Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  20. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I think jmatt and jitterbugdude have nailed it.

Unless you're cooking your tobacco, that "pop" means absolutely nothing except that the temperature is colder and/or the barometric pressure is higher than the moment when you first tightened the lid.

But some folks have said that microbial activity binds gas molecules, and less gas means less pressure, more pop.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

They were sealed the second you screwed the lid on.

What you are hearing is caused by outside temperature and atmospheric pressure changes. Nothing more and nothing less than the change of weather conditions. If you really think that pop is the actual moment of sealing I would suggest that next time you jar up some tobacco heat that jar up in hot water before putting in your tobacco and tighten the lid before the jar has a chance to cool and as it cools you will hear it pop but do not worry if you don't really hear it go "POP" because it was sealed the second you tightened the lid.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pappymac, shayde, pipingfool, gandalfspipe, gatorlope, jaytex969, husky, cshubhra, mawp, gerryp, verporchting, alaskanpiper, dorsetpiper