PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
So I recently got a Missouri Meerschaum grab bag, and inside was a MacArthur. I laughed at its ridiculousness and thought I would never smoke it, but as I type this (clenching like a champ), I'm in the middle of my first bowl with it. The hardest part was to decide on a nice tobacco that I could easily smoke a long bowl of. I settled on Mac Baren Vanilla Cream.
What about you all, if you have a MacArthur, what do you smoke in it?

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
LUCKY YOU Bulldog Mick!

I mean, what more could you be opting for?

I would love to see a Mac Arthur in my grab bag (still underway)...

Cheers!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Here's hoping you get one, Jay, because that ones one of my best smokes so far! For the first time ever, I successfully used tamping instead of relighting to keep my pipe alight.
Anyway, I'm surprised no one else has/uses a MacArthur around here. 8O

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
Thanks for your wish!

If I don't get one now, I will order in the future (though the corn shortage this year was rather bad, for what I hear!).

Well, don't get disappointed, wait until night (or day, depending on the part of the world you are from!), and it's only logical that someone has one and replies!

:puffy:

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I'm not so much disappointed as surprised. I had thought MacArthurs were semi-popular.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have two, a straight and a bent. I seldom smoke them but do enjoy when I do. I like a shag

cut tobacco when I do smoke them, for it's ease of loading the pipe bowl.

Sep 29, 2012
I have a MacArthur which I purchased this summer along with my first pipe (a Missouri Meerschaum Freehand). The MacArthur I smoked on the occasion of Victory Over Japan Day. It was a wonderful smoke really, and great fun to stand there with the great cob clenched between my teeth. I'm not one much for clenching, however, the MacArthur really is great fun to smoke on occasion.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
I've got one, Never smoked it though. I don't know if I could dedicate that much time smoking it. LOL.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I've got one, Never smoked it though. I don't know if I could dedicate that much time smoking it. LOL.
I don't know about yours, but mine has quite a narrow chamber so it really is almost like an optical illusion regarding the size (capacity). Mine really only held about the standard three pinches of tobacco.

chef

Lurker
Jun 12, 2013
NW Indiana
I too got a Mac in my grab bag, in addition to already owning a straight stem and bent stem Mac. My favorite is Captain Black Royal or Captain Black Dark. Either one delivers a very enjoyable tasty cool smoke.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have one but I rarely smoke it either. My biggest issue is usually find a single tobacco that I want to smoke that long.....so I cheat. I have built a "parfait" a few times by layering different tobaccos and enjoying the transition from one to the next throughout the bowl. Apparently, I have a short attention span and it seems to keep my interest.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I got mine at the beginning of spring. I have almost exclusively used it on those nights me and the Mrs. sit around the fire pit with friends and family. I really don't see me using it much in the winter.
I got a 4oz bag of Altadis Summer Breeze that I smoked almost exclusively in it. It had a nice dark fruit and rum flavor combination to me. I have been wanting to smoke a big bowl of FM Cellar in it just to try it out but haven't yet. My tobacco tastes and how much I smoke don't jive with smoking a MacArthur all the time. I will make myself sick smoking my normal rotation of tobaccos.
All that being said, I do like it. I love all my cobs. I also bought a General for smoking while I mow the grass. I lasts almost the whole 3 acres with a good flake. It is a good in between for a longer cob smoke.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
One of my friends has one of those MacArthur's, the other day I was looking at it and noticed that the bottom of the bowl has even blacked, I still don't think that he has finished one complete bowl out of it yet.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I received a General in my grab bag. That's a pretty tall pipe... I can't imagine being able to keep a McArthur lit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The always fascinating MacArthur pipe -- thanks for the report on how it smokes. What I get from posts so far is

that it isn't the over-long smoke it would appear to be, holding about an average bowl of tobacco because of the

narrowness of the bowl. MacArthur was certainly a grand figure, although not terribly sympathetic if you study

his biography. He came from a wealthy family and his mom moved to Westpoint when he was a cadet to maintain

a fine apartment off campus where he could take refuge; that's not the cadet life as we know it. So Doug had a

fairly godlike self-image. But anyway, the pipe is pretty wonderful. I may have to get one at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.