My "loot" from the US (or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Embrace TAD)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Just got back from the US, and thought I'd share my acquisitions there:
pipe_tobacco_us_04-2015.jpg

Not on the picture is also Yule Log, one of Russ Ouellette's monthly blends (whose description of "will remind you of the aroma of the fireplace" sold it to me, as this was the comparison that originally drove me to smoking a pipe).
Very much looking forward to start opening them :)
Thanks everyone who helped me choose!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What's the plan? Open and jar as you go? You've got some delightful smoking ahead of you!

Many of those you picture, I've only read about, but I've tried some of Russ's and some of Greg's.

I see you decided on the Firestorm. I'd say that that is on a par with the legendary Nightcap, but stands on it's own and for some I'm sure, preferred.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Yes, I'd had my eyes on Fire Storm since reading about it. It was a bit of work getting the order through on Pipes&Cigars (as they require a US billing address), but it worked out in the end. It's the first I'll try from the batch :)
I don't smoke that often so one tin lasts me a long time. Besides, I tend to keep switching tobacco (instead of smoking a single one for a while), so yes, I'll open/jar them as I go.
Though I've been wanting to experiment with smoking a single tobacco several times in a row, to better understand the flavour. That would alter the pattern a bit. We'll see.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
With the McClelland stuff, the initial "ketchup" scent in the tins will fade fast. In my opinion, it's best 2-3 weeks after you open it. I usually open and transfer to a mason jar. Maybe enjoy a bowl or two but come back to it a few weeks later and it's a different (and better) tobacco.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Nice haul! It would be great to read your thought as work your way through.
Though I've been wanting to experiment with smoking a single tobacco several times in a row, to better understand the flavour. That would alter the pattern a bit. We'll see.
I think this will happen spontaneously as you find something that really grabs your attention.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Glad you were able to coordinate that great haul with your trip. I have been very happy with the Anniversary Kake. Looks like you have a lot of great blends to keep you busy for awhile.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
You did good.
We're going to be smoking Firestorm with Russ Oullette this Friday as part of the April tobacco crawl. Feel free to crack the tin and join us.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pax-tobacco-crawl-with-russ-ouellette
Pax

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Looks like you picked some great ones there! Enjoy them. I also agree with jgriff about the Mcclellends blends-- they need to breathe for a while before they really open up.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
jgriff, beefeater: good tip! I went back to my notes on Frog Morton across the Pond and saw I'd noticed that taste the first couple of times. I'll follow your wise advice :)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
bigpond: makes sense! It just seems like there's *so much* out there to be tried :P
I notice that it really depends on my mood. Sometimes I want something new, sometimes I want something new-ish but within my comfort zone, sometime I want to retry something I've had before, and sometimes I simply want to sit down, smoke a pipe I know I'll like, and think of something else :)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
brass: that'd be great! I was actually sorely disappointed I couldn't get any Magnum Opus. It saw on my cart for a couple of days while I sorted out how to order from P&C, and by the time I actually got the order through I noticed that it was on backorder, and that it wouldn't reach me on time. I actually had to call and ask them to remove it from my order, sad times :(
My smoking rhythm is a bit unsure these days, as I have a baby at home, but I'll try to make it to the crawl for Fire Storm! Sounds like fun :)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Nice haul, Fire Storm is a very tasty and interesting VaPer and you'll enjoy it I'm sure. The whole McClellend Ketchup thing is to me a bunch of subliminal bullying that's undeserved. People read that stuff then they pop the tin and guess what they smell? Either way I can promise that if those good folks didn't know how to procure, blend and distribute premium pipe tobacco they would have gone away with the transistor radio. Good smoking!

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
setters: Hahaha I don't want to start a flamewar here ;)
I did write down on my notes that I tasted something odd on Frog Morton OTT the first couple of times, and then it grew on me. But that's ok, I currently rate it at 4 stars!
Either way, I'm looking forward to enjoying my new stash ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Delicious all the way, as near as I can tell. You might choose to let some of the Virginia forward blends age a while, while you enjoy some of the others. Mighty fine selection. I'm going to catch up with Fire Storm, but opted to order a selection of Mac Baren dark fired blends for now. The blenders and retailers are driving us all crazy with the quality and quantity of possibilities.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
mso, freakiefrog: I hadn't planned that far ;) I was too busy trying to select the tobacco and then trying to get it delivered on time. I'll light a pipe and consider my options ;)
Waiting a bit on the Virginias is a good idea - the temptation, though! Anyway, I did get two tins of Fire Storm, with the intention of cellaring one. And the Christmas Cheer is a 100g tin, which is a lot for my current smoking pace, so I tend to jar half of those. As for the rest, I intend to write the date on all tins, and start smoking each one as I get the craving. In the meantime, I might come up with something more structured.
jkrug: Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.