PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I own one Canadian, which is an Iwan Ries house pipe. When I have seriously considered others,

I have resorted to a billiard that upstaged the Canadian. It takes a long piece of briar to provide

that long Canadian shank, and a pretty fine piece of briar to have grain on both the bowl and shank.

I always enjoy smoking my Canadian, which has a good big bowl and an expansive, unfiltered draw.

Canadian is a shape I appreciate but that doesn't snare me like billiards, Dublins, bulldogs, and

authors. Is there anyone out there who takes Canadian shape pipes as their principle shape?

(I AM prepared for some Canadian jokes here; I like the pipe because it's so polite.) If someone

wants to remind me about the difference between a Canadian and a lumberman ... I think the

lumberman has an oval shank and stem?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
How do you get 100 Canadians out of a pool?: "Hey guys can you get out of the pool please?"

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I love Canadians, and not just because I am one!
From what I remember:
Canadian - Oval Shank Fishtail Bit

Lumberman - Oval Shank Saddle Bit

Liverpool - Round Shank Fishtail Bit

Lovat - Round Shank Saddle Bit
I´m pretty sure this is only a generalization, because I've heard some people call a Canadian a Lumberman regardless of bit.
I just picked up an Ontario which has an ever so slight bend in the Fishtail Bit and a barely noticeable angle to the bowl.
I also understand the the bowl shape used on all of these pipes is in fact a Billiard.
I love these pipes for their classic look, slightly longer profile, and all that extra briar.
My Chacom Salsa 297 Canadian is currently my favorite pipe.
Canadians Rock!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Mso:
I'm an unabashed fan of Canadians and currently have eight, three of which happen to be in my weekly rotation.
The long billiard will always be my preferred non-firearm of choice but I've got a sweet smoking Ehrlich Canadian that could be classified as a trench club by most law enforcement agencies.
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I only have one at the moment, but it is one of my favorites. This is my Brebbia "Iceberg".
051d78b9-f858-4481-b6cb-9e8cf2f461d6_zps7ea1d655.jpg

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I love a good Canadian. The last five pipes I purchased have been Canadians.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Only own 1 Canadian out of my 24 pipes, a Mark Tinsky black coral dress Canadian. It is one of my favorite, best smoking and best looking pipes in the lot. I certainly plan on acquiring more of the Canadian shape in the future. I love the look of all the straight long stemmed shapes.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I love the Canadian style of pipes. The whole shape family. I only have one, currently, but that will be fixed at some point. I consider them especially classy. And for what it's worth, the Ontario series by Savinelli is killer for the money (125ish) and some of the higher end series of sav also offer Canadians and they look incredible!

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
As a Canadian, I'm ashamed to say I don't own a Canadian shaped pipe! It's on to own list... I've done lots of looking but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My Peterson 264 is supposed to be a Canadian shape.

PetersonEmeraldCanadian.jpg

Therefore the axiom would be that a Canadian has an oval shank and tapered bit. However, my Savinelli Lumberman also has an oval stem and tapered bit.

AED4EA04-1679-4BE7-82F0-0FF5BD50F3C1-728-000000B3A001FF9B_zpsd8b9f104.jpg

The Peterson is probably a Dunhill 3 size, and the Savinelli, stamped "Lumberman", is a group 5.

dutchronin

Lurker
Apr 16, 2014
I also have just one Canadian shaped pipe. I must say, when comparing this to Billiards, the Canadian is my prefered pipe. I usually smoke bent pipes tho, but this one earned itself a place in my smoking set :)
2wri78x.jpg

I nice looking Shalom Mosaic I picked up in a refurb lot about a month ago. Resting against my trusty work tobacco jar that holds about 4 pipes worth. Currently Rattrays Bagpipers Dream.
(Can't tell you about bowl size/group, still don't really get that designation....)

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I wonder how many of those got called Canadian because they look like hockey sticks, LOL. They're awesome!
It leads to a serious question, though: how long a shank before it can be classified a Canadian. Savinelli doesn't use that term for shape description but they seem to have a lot of shapes that could qualify as Canadian or Lovat or Lumberman.
Is there a rule of thumb for it, though? Proportion of overall shank/stem length? Ratio to bowl height? Or just "know it when you see it"?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The thread title had me a bit concerned but I get it now. Canadian pipe shape, got it.
I have one coming next week from a deal done over on buy and sell and it will be my first since having a Geppetto Canadian blast which I loved but broke years ago. I never had it banded and should have. One of my favorite styles.

Aug 1, 2012
The Canadian shape is a great one. I started out not liking them but now they are the 3rd most represented shape in my collection after billiards and bulldog/rhodesians. My favorites are my Sasieni Amesbury, my pair of Icebergs and my Comoy's Patina.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Just received my first Canadian pipe. It was an e-bay purchase. It is a 7" Sasieni, black, blast. A virgin, Family Era pipe, I cleaned it, filled it up with some Lanes 125th Anniversary VaPer, and fired it up. Fantastic! A great cool smoke indeed. It may have been something I should have kept and never smoked, but I only collect what I can smoke, and it was not a thousand dollar investment so WTH. When I am gone it can be listed as smoked, but gently used:D I will be buying more of this shape which has grown on me over the last year.

Dec 24, 2012
Lovely.
As for the difference between a Canadian and a Lumberman, see the chart on my Project Longshanks post: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/michael-parks-project-longshanks
I need a chart to keep those four shapes straight.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
As someone who has never smoked a Canadian, how are they as clenchers? They look a bit long for that sort of thing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The closest I've come to purchasing anything but a bent is a "Canadian." I'm love the grace and proportion. If I can find the right briar, one of these days I might succumb. It will have to spectacular grain, perfect fit and finish.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've "clenched" my two Canadians from time to time, but I put in parens as I try to not bite down, just hold in teeth and lips as loosely as circumstances may allow. Not as good as bents for the task, but my Canadians are not heavy.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I have yet to purchase any form of canadian but I do find the shape very attractive. Every time I'm ready to buy a canadian I some how end up with either a billiard, dublin, bulldog, rhodesian or apple. Usually the bent variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.