PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigar

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
Ive been looking for a good local tobacco shop to buy all my stuff at and there are 2 places near me the tinderbox which is more of a cigar shop and then another local place that is listed on this site. I went by the other local shop because i would always rather support small local shops if i can. Well i pulled up to the place and began walking up to the shop when i noticed the no concealed carry sign. It wasnt just the little gun with a line thru it which carries no legal bearing. It was the big legit one that its actually a crime to carry inside. Now i understand and support his right to run his business anyway that the owner wants. It just irks me that the only place near me that actually looked like a pipe shop I cannot even enter. Anybody else know of anyplace in saint louis county that is actually a pipe shop?

thebigar

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
That was my first thought because i will take it off when going into places like courts or the dmv or something where it is illegal. But I couldn't take it off just to make someone else feel better about themselves

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Considering the mass shooting in CT a few weeks ago, you should have no problem respecting the wishes of the shop.
Hopefully you will reconsider and return to the shop. You may even make some new friends as a result.

thebigar

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
The mass shooting are why I want to be carrying all the more but yes i did respect the owners wishes and also my own personal beliefs. I apologize i didn't want this thread to turn political i know that today there are no people without an opinion on guns this was just a little mini rant for me. I will keep considering this local place because i really would like to support local business the sign really caught me off guard as i had never seen one that was legally binding mostly you just see the ones of a gun with a line thru it which has no legal bearing against anybody and is not required for a legally armed citizen to follow. This store had a legit one which i had never seen on any non-govt building

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 flmason
But I couldn't take it off just to make someone else feel better about themselves
Ahem. So you want them to make you feel better about yourself by letting you tote your weapon in their shop? Two wrongs don't make a right.

thebigar

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
exactly mlaug i cant give up my rights or opinions for other people

and rcstan you are also right he has the right to run his business the way that he wants to and i will respect his decision and not enter his establishment

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Like an above poster said, "vote with your wallet"
If you feel really strongly consider sending the place an email expressing your concern. Just state that the sign made you feel alienated being a law abiding citizen excersizing your rights, and that you would actually like to support the place.
Just what I would do - or think about anyway.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Next they will tell you no smoking in the bar . Wait they did that . Sometimes I pack heat ,but we got critters down here . Sounds like Saint Louis has varmits .

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you truly have it concealed and not printing simply walk in and and get whatever you need. the only place I wouldn't do it is Gov buildings, schools, banks and bars.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
The owner of any business or any homeowner may request that concealed weapons are not allowed in their business or inside a home. You may want to review the laws for a concealed carry permit in your state. I live in FL and I know that provision applies in FL.
I would assume that most purchases at a pipe shop would be via credit card so the shop most likely does not have lots of cash on hand. So the prospect of a robbery is small.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
This is a subject I very much try to avoid the political debate on. I agree though, vote with your wallet is the best course of action and that's how I choose to handle these situations.
Thankfully I don't see the sign posted much around here. The Texas state capitol even has a dedicated line for CHL holders to enter the building. God bless Texas :)

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
I'd only consider voting with my wallet if I informed the business of why they lost a sale. If they wish to change then good for you but at least they would know how you perceive the choices.
A little reported item out of the Oregon mall shooting was a CCW holder drew his weapon and aimed at the suspect from cover, and the suspect saw the CCW holder as the suspect was trying to un-jam his rifle. The CCW saw movement immediately behind the suspect and so decided not to fire in case he missed and hit an innocent. The suspect rounded a corner and the next shot fired was the suicide shot. No telling what the suspect thought, but the fact is that after seeing the CCW holder the very next round he fired was into himself.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
A few years back, one of my cousins told me of a local (to him) shop that used to have a "no guns allowed" sign in the front window. A "bad guy" came in one day, pulled out a pistol and demanded all the money in the till. The proprietor emptied the cash register, then leaned down for something, and the guy shot him, and ran out. The proprietor was left paralyzed on one half of his body. The proprietor's wife now runs the store and has a "concealed carry with permit welcome" sign in the window, and hasn't been bothered since. Can't say the sign actually accounts for that, but I have to believe it isn't hurting.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
the business owner will no doubt never learn why he's lost the business. so it won't help him or anyone else. who knows, i'd be curious to hear his reasons for the sign. maybe they're very good ones. knowing and understanding are always more difficult path, but broad is the path, as the man said.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Considering the mass shooting in CT a few weeks ago, you should have no problem respecting the wishes of the shop.
So, because a maniac slaughters innocence, I should all of a sudden have no problem whatsoever with an anit-gun stance? Chances are, should the shop keeper or any of his customers ever encounter another maniac, the first thing they are going to do is call someone with a gun(police.) The NRA pres was right. The only defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. And my bet is that an armed person with malicious intent will not stop and look at the sign and go, "Darnit, I can't go in here."
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Who committed a second wrong? Or even one for that matter? The shop owner has his posistion and well, its his shop! He can do as he pleases but don't say the OP is wrong because he wants to exercise his 2nd amendment RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

thebigar

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
Well i sent the shop an email

i tried to be as polite and sensible as possible

i told him i respected his right to put up the sign but will not support his business until he takes it down

i wont give up my rights for other people

does anybody know of any good shops in the stl area?

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Respecting your right is great, respecting the shop owners right is also important. The owner doesn't choose to feel uncomfortable around guns but he does choose not to force the issue on anyone who isn't on his property which is something I can respect. Not every in this world is going to have a carbon copy of your morality or thought process, you both have a passion for tobacco focus on that and if you become a regular customer you can argue your beliefs about fun control, who knows maybe someday you can get him to reconsider! Automatically counting him as an enemy is only going to hurt you in the long run.
As a side note, I do have an open carry license for the state of Oklahoma so I do know how troublesome expressing your right can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.