PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Now that I've had my TAD fulfilled for the moment (from a number of online orders), I'm sticking with buying a few tins at a time from 2 local shops that I know of (easier to hide from the wife!)
Recently got a buy 2 get 2 Sutliff tins. originally priced at $11.70, I got 4 tins at about $24 ($6 a tin ain't bad). I got 2 Top Shelf, 1 French Quarter, 1 No 5
The tins had some dust on them, and I was told that everything they had was out on the shelf.
Another shop I went to I got a tin of Ashton Smooth Sailing at about $12 (pricey, I know. But, I spent less than I would have online. I can't seem to pass up free shipping!)
Anyway, both of these shops have big glass windows in the front, where the pipe tobacco is kept. And I can't help but wonder: Is the sunlight going to severely negatively affect the tobacco?
I opened the Smooth Sailing. It was a bit dry, but smoked well, and I could taste the coconut a little.
A year ago I bought some bulk from one of the shops. I didn't care for them (one was Bourbon, the other was Amaretto).
So, I'm thinking, how old is this tobacco? Is it close to worthless? Why would these shops keep the cigars in the back, away from the sunlight and getting baked all day, while the pipe tobacco is in the front? It irks me somewhat that so much care is taken for the cigars, and the pipe tobacco is an afterthought.
Just something I was thinking about. Especially if this internet tax is gonna go thru. I'll be able to order from P&C as they're now in PA, but not from SP, milan, just for him (shortcut to mushrooms is pretty good). Just ordered some Dunhill tins from P&C. Thinkin about doing a taste test by getting a tin of the same thing from the shop.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
First and foremost, you can't ruin Sutliff No. 5.
The local shop in Dayton has jars and tins close to the windows, and the tins seem to be doing fine.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
First and foremost, you can't ruin Sutliff No. 5.
is that to say that it's no good from the start? Haven't cracked it yet, altho it's taking all my willpower not to

blade

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
Won't the sun/heat help in the aging process? I thought that I read this years ago, someone had left a tin on their dashboard and thought the tobacco was better.
AJ

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I don't think I'd ever leave tobacco on a dashboard (unless for a short amt of time to dry it a little). I try to leave mine in the trunk, if I'm planning on smoking in the car after work. Trunk doesn't get quite as hot as the passenger cabin.
It seems counter-intuitive, leaving tobacco in direct sunlight and heat, since from what I've heard about cellaring, you need to keep it in a cool and dark place. In my apt bldg, the cellar is actually warm (I assume from the multiple water heaters), so I picked a spot in my closet, which is against an interior wall, so the temp won't vary too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.