PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
There are few things that get me more excited than a shipment of briar from my guy in Calabria...I was sweating bullets because of the delay in Customs- this shipment included a few really select pieces of briar that have been drying for 2 years in his shop- one of those is going into the billiard for the KC contest....(hope I don't screw it up...:)

s5l4ww.jpg

35l4zt0.jpg

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
That block has an amazing grain. I think I see a block that would make a great Canadian in there. lol

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
glad to see you're not wasting your life

i can't wait for more show and tell about these pieces of wood

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Nice Zack, glad your blood pressure and sanity can now return to normal, lol. That is some very nice looking briar, i too will be anxiously waiting to see how the pipes, particularly the billiard, turn out!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I swear I thought you'd taken delivery of a beautiful array of dark chocolate. That's some impressive

briar. It calls to us all, the carves and the smokers.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Do you have a site where we can see your work? Good luck in upcoming shows

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
http://www.zhamricpipes.com/
Rokstarpipes and The Pipe Collectors websites also carry his pipes.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Nice..Good luck with those two grey ones at the bottom of the photo. Those will be interesting pipes for sure, perhaps cosmicfolklore would be interested in picking one of those up when you're done with them. ;)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks Al! Screwed up the first attempt- it will still make a good billiard, but not what I was looking for...2nd one is looking good so far...

First pic is roughing in the ivory shank band

xf3eqe.jpg

2nd pic, the band is within .002" of final size...even polishing the rim of the mortise...

1z6ujxd.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Rough shaped at 40 grit....

zk5u2h.jpg

Moving directly to 320 grit for fine shaping- grain looks good wet, but still need some reshaping on the stem-bowl junction....about 2 hours to get from the raw block to this stage...

szgd37.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Amazing grain in your billiard. I hereby declare you Winner! Everyone else can stop now. Although I kid, and the competition will be fierce, I think you will for sure be a contender with that piece. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.