PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I just got my latest TAD order in from 4noggins. The box was packed beautifully, using just the right size box and packing peanuts. Everything was padded, and no movement within. This order contained Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, W.O. Larsen Limited Edition 2013, Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream, 4noggins Mojo, and 4noggins Owl's Head.
These are all new to me, as I'm a aero kind of person, but I wanted to try these out.
TAD.4noggins.Oct.jpg

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Great score, if you like the Suadron Leader, might want to try Skiff Mixture. I dont remember which I had first but one got me hooked on the other.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
WOW, just opened the tin of Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream and WOW can I smell the cognac! Smells awesome! A bit too wet to smoke right away, so I grabbed a pipeful and am letting it sit on a paper towel for a little bit.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
OK. First smoke was mostly a hot smoke, and of course I packed it too tightly. But, overall, I can taste the cognac (not too strong though), and can smell the cognac in the room note (even though I smoked on my back patio). There are other tastes in there, but I'm going to have to smoke a few more bowls before I can tell what they are.
I think I'll dry it a bit more for my next bowl.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I tried Owl's Head last night. I was a bit skeptical at first, because I've read here that you either love latakia or hate it. I enjoyed this smoke very much.
This was my first English. I lived the smoky taste and smoky aftertaste. I'll have to smoke this blend a few more times before I can fully describe it though.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I just smoked my second bowl of Owl's Head, and have to say that it's still a great smoke. I've been smoking this in my Meerschaum Missouri Pride corn cob, so it's only about a 35-40 minute smoke. It burns very cool, and I only had to relight once after dumping half a bowl of ash. Very nice indeed.
For tomorrow night's night shift, I think I'll be trying Mojo.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I tried 4noggins Mojo tonight. I charred it like I do every other blend, and then lit it. On first light, I got a little bite. It cooled after that though. I could taste a hint of cinnamon, which I suspect is the deer tongue. I also got a peppery taste, which I suspect is the perique. This blend isn't harsh, but I definitely didn't enjoy it. The deer tongue was faint, and the perique up front (I think). It was super dry, and very ashy tasting. I also had to relight at least 4-5 times.
However, I will try it again in a different pipe. I smoked it in my Missouri Pride cob tonight. I think I'll try it in my churchwarden next. I hope it tastes better for me in the churchwarden.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Tonight I smoked a bowl of W.O Larsen Special Edition 2013. It was absolutely wonderful, and smoked all the way to the bottom. The smell out of the tin (in this case baggie because I'm at work) is very pleasant. Smells very sweet. The smoke is also sweet. No bite, no relights, and is a cool smoke all the way. I smoked this in another Missouri Pride cob, and enjoyed it very much. I'm definitely going to order a few more tins for cellaring.
I can't really describe the taste yet. It also has a wonderful aftertaste. I'll post more about this one after I smoke a few more bowls.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I received another order from 4noggins today, which includes the additional 2 tins of W.O. Larson Special Edition 2013, 4 ounces of Owl Head, a sample of Harvest Moon (which smells heavenly), and a sample of Prairie Wind (which smells good). Can't wait to try Harvest Moon tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.