PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pask

Lurker
Dec 13, 2013
Purchased a Meershcaum pipe off the bay, and have some questions about it. Has anyone ever seen a meer with a metal connector? It doesnt screw in or anything, just metal into metal. Also I notices that it's actually really heavy in comparison to my other meers. Almost seems like it's twice as dense as my other few meerschaum pipes.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291091946753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Here is a link to the auction for pictures. Also the case is plastic which leads me to think it was a cheap meer, but hey for $15 I don't mind. Was wondering if you gentlemen had any info to share

pask

Lurker
Dec 13, 2013
Is it possible that it's African meer? Oddly enough it is coloring though which makes me suspicious.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
It appears to be block meerschaum (Turkish) to me, and I have seen a few metal tenon-mortise connectors. Although it wouldn't be my first choice, there's nothing wrong with them if it's tight.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that the case isn't made of plastic....

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I agree that the pipe is probably block meerschaum. The case looks to be wood with a covering of some kind. For the price you paid I would say in my opinion you have had a very good deal and I am sure it will smoke well.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I'm always suprised when someone purchases a pipe from ebay. I'm not trusting enough to buy from them.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I have never had any luck on ebay, 3 purchases over last 15 years and every single one turned to be a disappointment.

pask

Lurker
Dec 13, 2013
$15 for a block Meer (with a massive bowl). Worth the gamble imo. It was relatively clean so it only took a few mins to clean up. And the best part of eBay. If you don't like it you can clean it up and put it up for sale and get some of your money back if not more

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Pask, I think you did ok. I'm sure you will be happy with that for the price you paid.
Ebay always is a gamble and that's one of the draws for me. Sometimes I win big and other times it's a disappointment, just like playing the slots in Vegas. The key is not to spend too much. My limit is $20.00 including shipping. I can afford to lose that much. I'd be on really shaky ground risking $100.00 on an estate Dunhill or a Peterson mostly because I don't know enough yet to make an educated high end bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.