My Latest Brian Ruthenberg Estate Pipe Purchased From Pipestud.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just won an auction from our good friend Pipestud and it was my 6th Brian Ruthenbberg pipe. Steve is so great that he told me he is jumping on the back of his horse and is making the trek to Florida to deliver it in person. Now is that great customer service or what?
This pipe is a large group 4 Lovat and I aam sure will be a killer flake pipe. Brian makes a wonderful smoker with his open draws, thick walls and light weights. This pipe weighs in at a paltry 46 grams. The blast is not a ring grain, but I do like the up and down blast and the deepness of it. I also like Brians stain and stem color combo as this makes number 4 in my collection with this combination. Steve also checked the pipe before I bought it to tell me it was super clean.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I saw that one. It sure is beautiful. Congratulations and many happy smokes

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Very nice lovat! Great smoker for sure, but I still hope it smokes even better than you expect. It's well deserved. :wink:

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
If I knew you were bidding, I would not have even tried. Although to be fair I didn't try that much.
It is a sweet pipe, Congrats on another beauty.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys it is appreciated.
delkhouri, no worries as when I bid, I place my high bid an hour or 2 before the aucton ends and if I win so be it and if I lose no biggie. I did ask Steve before I bid if he could tell if anyone from here was bidding on it, but he doesn't know very many ebay handles from the guys here so he couldn't tell me. If I had known you were on it I would have backed off as I don't like competing with the folks here. I wish we could see the handles like the old days as we could easily not cost each other additional money by bidding against each other.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Harris,

I understand where you're coming from there brother but I for one am happy we don't see handles any more. When I was heavy on classic tackle over on eBay I couldn't place a bid because if I was interested in something a lot of the members from the forum I used to own jumped on it like chickens on a June Bug. I had to have one or two of my friends bid and if they won I just gave them the money, then when sniping was available I went that route. Like you I generally don't bid until under 2 hours left or in some cases under 7 minutes and I place my highest bid at that time no more bidding wars for now, regards.

banjo

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
No worries at all. I think I bid early on for something like $75 and when I got outbid i just let it go. So there really was no competition from me. I liked the pipe and but I was by no means in love with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the finely engraved band against the heavily textured briar. There's just something about a Lovat.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Nice pipe! Last I knew Brian makes all his pipes with a poor mans lathe..something called a ShopSmith. It's a pretty cool rig and I own one as well. It's a crazy looking contraption and at first I thought they were gimmicky junk..but they're top quality and super versatile. AND great for making pipes. https://www.google.com/search?q=shopsmith&rlz=1C1GKLB_enUS609US629&espv=2&biw=1270&bih=649&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=8Fz7M4abfvjyDM%253A%253BwnuJ-DXuo_TcmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.talkbass.com%25252Fthreads%25252Fshopsmith-510-with-many-extras-seattle-area.650879%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=8Fz7M4abfvjyDM%253A%252CwnuJ-DXuo_TcmM%252C_&usg=__-MvWRhJ4JiM4-rq22_Rl_Q_oI3E%3D&dpr=1&ved=0CDwQyjc&ei=xERSVYeVL8m2sAX-y4GwAg#imgrc=8Fz7M4abfvjyDM%253A%3BwnuJ-DXuo_TcmM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi714.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fww146%252FRegenerateGuitarWorks%252FTools%252FShopSmith%252FShopSmith-Package.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.talkbass.com%252Fthreads%252Fshopsmith-510-with-many-extras-seattle-area.650879%252F%3B668%3B600

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
kola, thanks for posting that link. I know nothing about lathes so to me that machine looks very impressive and very complicated. As long as Brian likes it that is all I care about as he obviously knows how to use it with great skill.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recieved this pipe from pipestud in the mail yesterday and loaded it up with 2004 SG FVF and it smoked perfect. The tobacco tasted as it should, the pipe smoked cool and dry and the stem was very comfortable. Everything I expect in a Brian Ruthenberg pipe.

Thanks again Steve for allowing me to win this pipe, I won't tell anyone the fix was in( just kidding guys, Steve would never do that even for me his most loyal of subjects). :rofl:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Steve would never do that even for me his most loyal of subjects) - Harris.
Don't you mean from one of my most loyal rumor spreaders, Harris? Dang, I guess there's a hitch in the eBay system since you weren't blocked from bidding on my auctions. I'll have to report that to eBay to see if I can get it fixed. :wink:
And thanks for the business. Glad that nice Ruth went to an appreciative owner. Enjoy Harris!

Status
Not open for further replies.