Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
When I'm not restoring old Grabows or repairing pipes I like to try my hand at making pipes. This one I finished yesterday. The white extension is attached to the stem and is antler. I used the threaded parts from an old Grabow because I wanted a filter pipe and I like the screw type for ease of cleaning and changing filters.Briar has a few flaws but none that made me want to rusticate.

prince-with-antler-2011-12-31-001-1280x960-600x450.jpg

prince-with-antler-2011-12-31-003-1280x960-600x450.jpg

prince-with-antler-2011-12-31-004-1280x960-600x450.jpg

prince-with-antler-2011-12-31-005-1280x960-600x450.jpg

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I really like seeing pipes people craft. I know I'll be wanting to try my hand at it soon, too.
Geez, that's a professional grade polish you got on that thing, very good work.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Another outstanding artist. Ever thought about displaying

at a Art and Crafts show ? Great place to get a Ribbon and sell some pipes

without the competition.

Hobojoe

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Great job Mr. James!
looks like parts assembled together.Nice job anyway be happy on the result
Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like, "Well nice try son. Better luck next time."

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Very nice pipe ! I love the shape, finish and the antler insert. Love that stem too ! Basically, love the whole darn thing !

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Gents! Your comments are appreciated! This one was made from a pre-drilled block I got at the Dr. Grabow factory back in July. It was a large block,could have made a canadian from it but that ain't what I wanted.
Robbieg,I have a small shop in my basement that I have been slowly equipping. Have a lathe,bandsaw,two buffer motors,homemade sander and a 12" drill press.
looks like parts assembled together.Nice job anyway be happy on the result
Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like, "Well nice try son. Better luck next time."
Well it kinda is parts. I swiped the aluminum "parts" from an old Grabow, The stem "part" is a Guiduici(sp) vulcanite blank that I faced in my lathe after cutting off the tenon and drilling for another tenon(also aluminum-swiped from another Grabow) . The antler "part" was turned and drilled in the lathe also. after cutting off the block "part" I had to re-drill it and rough shape it on the bandsaw. Finish shaping was done entirely with files,rasps and sandpaper. I don't yet have the sanding disks for my home sander.

I don't think I could be referred to as "son",I'm 61 and my Pop is no longer with us.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I love the classic shape and can well recognize the many hours of skilled workmanship that went into it. A beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.