My Latest Additions: A Brace Of Blakemars.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On a recent thread about British pipes, member Andrew (aka Drennan) posted a link for Blakemar Briars who are based in Northamptonshire.
Going over the selection on the website I was delighted to see he had some bent bulldogs in stock (listed for some reason as Rhodesians), there was also a rather nice looking large Calabash shape that took my fancy. I was by the way looking at their 'Aristocrat' range that despite its name is actually their basic range...(if you ignore their seconds which are only sold on Ebay).
I rang the proprietor (Mike Billington, a very friendly and helpful chap) and asked for a bent bulldog and large calabash only to hear the latter was sold out in the smooth finish which is my preference, only the rusticated remained. Bugger! So for my second pipe (I was afterall spending both xmas and birthday monies) I plumped for the Hungarian. The Hungarian weighs in at 37g and the Bulldog 55g with both having an eight cubic cm bowl volume.
My pipes arrived yesterday and I have to say I am delighted. At a mere £36 ($44.40) each which includes P+P (UK only) they really are a bargain. I smoked the bent Bulldog (my favourite shape BTW) first with FVF and it was a delight in every regard. Then I smoked some St. James Plug in the Hungarian which was ok but it did burn rather hot. I can only put this down to the thin walls of the bowl as seen below.
I have since got back to Mike and ordered the Large Calabash Rustic (70g and 13 cubic cm bowl capacity) which arrives on the morrow. I don't doubt that I will be returning to Blakemar Briars again as and when the desire hits me :D
1x14-600x400.jpg

2x15-600x400.jpg

1x15-600x400.jpg

2x16-600x400.jpg

3x12-600x400.jpg

BTW, Mike pre-carbonizes all his pipes with a burning iron and gas jet...no dodgy chemicals here folks :puffy:
Many thanks for Drennan for posting that link in the first place..
Regards,
Jay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice. I just 2 Litchbruyere pipes-straight bulldog and a Woodstock. Thoroughly delighted with both. I will be a return customer as well. Enjoy yours.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
That bulldog is smashing Jay. Im off to have a look at the website. Toodle pip.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
What the Americans call a bent bulldog is called a bent rhodesian in Great Britain.... and on our side of

the globe.

See J.P.Cole "Briar Pipe Shapes and Styles" Surrey 1985.
Jørgen,Danmark

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Papipeguy, I saw your pair of Litchbruyere pipes, very nice they are too!
Jensen, you don't post often but when you do it is with amazing snippets about pipe smoking and making, your input is always welcome :puffy:
Interestingly, his straight version (with diamond shank) he calls a bulldog!
Simon, alas the 'Aristocrat' range which I bought are frazed pipes though I don't doubt they were hand finished. Both pipes by the way were highly polished upon arrival.
I have to say that now I have smoked the Hungarian a couple more times I feel a little disappointed with it as it does get rather hot, even with gentle puffing. At about the halfway point I have to hold it by the shank to save my delicate digits from getting singed :roll:
If Dave (aka Oldreddog) hasn't cleared them out of bent bulldogs I shall be ordering yet another as that shape is a little hard to find in that price range and I do love my bent 'dogs :mrgreen:
Regards,
Jay.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Cole : Bulldog is made with a square cut diamond shape stem but it was not always so.The name given by the French makers was Haiti (origin obscure) which could originally be obtained with either a round or diamond stem.

...........One would be justified in saying that there is no such thing as a BENT BULLDOG,but it is a shape that

has acquired its own identity.The RHODESIAN is the shape in quistion.Once more a small puzzle as to the origin of

the name except that it may have been a "counter balance" to the Kruger.......It must be put on record that real

Rhodesian can be made with either a round or square stem..........it should also be noted that the true Rhodesian can also be straight (round or square)

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
This thread has motivated me to order a Blakemar (never heard of them) Litchbruyere Pennine. Can't wait to try it!

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
tschiraldi, I have one of these pennine which I smoke and its a good pipe - and one in stock.

Hope you will like yours.
Jørgen

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Jay, I just had a fill on my Hungarian with no problems. The pipe is well broken in.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, I just had a fill on my Hungarian with no problems. The pipe is well broken in."
Jensen, I fear that my Hungarian is always going to be a hot smoker as I cannot see how this will be alleviated by smoking it more.
Not a huge problem but one I could well do without...but for the price I really shouldn't complain.
The Bulldog/Rhodesian smokes perfectly however :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.