Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

My Lane 1-Q Review

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I started out smoking decades ago with mild aromatic tobacco, and every so often found Capt. Black in my rotation. After discovering better VaBur blends--and then Balkan mixes--I left such aromatic blends behind. They simply did not satisfy me and left me wanting another bowl of something else almost immediately.

I had the opportunity to sample 1-Q along with a number of other aromatics as part of the PM Box Pass. Giving all blends due justice, I moved past my initial olfactory prejudice and lit up. This tobacco has no pretensions. It is not a multilayered, complex experience filled with notes of rainbow dust, old leather trunks, or fairy dew.

The vanilla, cavendish, and virginia come through just fine. There is a little bit of strength that is not a bite, but makes for those of us that inhale every so often satisfied with the throat feel. It does not become overpowering--and the room note is like a pleasant incense that does not offend others.

It does need a bit of drying time, and if one does not pack their pipe heavy and try to suck the bottom out of the bowl is not a wet or gurgly smoke. Burns well throughout the bowl. Can't contribute to the conversation about the very bottom of the bowl--as I smoke no tobacco that far down.

There are a couple characteristics that are mindful of Capt. Black--but honestly are shared by all medium topped aromatics. Those that directly compare this to one of the Black blends either are simply parroting what they have read in another review (this happens more than we would like to see), or likely can't tell the difference between a lot of tobaccos.

In summary, a nice aromatic to switch off from other families of blends. Not heavy on nicotine, but satisfying just the same. Great room note, and a pleasant way to spend some time with a simple, old school aromatic bowl. Can be blended lightly with a Burley base such as Prince Albert to add a bit more dimension and nicotine, without taking away the overall character of the blend.

(crossposted to TobaccoReviews.com)

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I understand that 1Q is the most popular blend in the USA. It's a good one for new pipers to work on their technique. It has a pleasant room note that makes it a choice for anyone's rotation.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1-Q was one of the first tobaccos that I tried and I really, really enjoyed it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i dont know how accurate this is, but in my opinion lanes RLP-6 is the 1-Q with some burley added, i find it completes the unit having the burley in there, and generally keep a bit of RLP-6 on hand these days instead of 1-Q.

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. ivapewithfire

Rob

Login to Send PM

I love 1-Q, It's what I carry in my pouch every day.

For me, It's kind of like those beat-up work jeans your wear on the weekends to do work around the house. Might not be all fancy, but it keeps your butt covered.

I find myself quickly becoming a flake fan, but I will still be carrying 1-Q around with me all day.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1-Q's a great mild blend, good for new pipe smokers and for anyone who likes a pleasing mild smoke.
    I prefer the LL-7, which for me has a little more personality while it still remains tobacco forward, not
    smothered in flavoring. These a great old blends at a friendly price.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. ivapewithfire

Rob

Login to Send PM

@mso489 I'm always open to new things. I think I'm going to have to give LL-7 a try now, as well as RLP-6.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. toby67

toby67

Login to Send PM

RPL6 is nice as is TK6, BCA is just ok in my opinion

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find Lane's 1-Q to be a wonderful mixer!

For a little "sweetness" I every so often add "just a pinch" of 1-Q to Latakia blends and VaPers.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like 1Q give Lane's hazlenut a try.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

I've tried to like 1Q. I hate it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

NVM... Posted to the wrong thread. Sorry...

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tnfan, chasingembers, ben88, loadclear, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, josephcross, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar