PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
My Lady Nicotine by J.M. Barrie.

How many of you haven't read this book yet ?

Why haven't you ???
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18934/18934-h/18934-h.htm

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
You guys will laugh until you've blown all the tobacco from your pipe.

The particular wit found in this book is not matched these days.

I would love to sum the book up for you, but there is really no such thing.

Its sort of a loose collection of wild stories surrounding the finest mixture of tobacco ever smoked by the author, the Arcadia.
"It was now that I approached him with the Arcadia Mixture. I seldom recommend the Arcadia to men whom I do not know intimately, lest in the after-years I should find them unworthy of it. But just as Aladdin doubtless rubbed his lamp at times for show, there were occasions when I was ostentatiously liberal. If, after trying the Arcadia, the lucky smoker to whom I presented it did not start or seize my hand, or otherwise show that something exquisite had come into his life, I at once forgot his name and his existence. I approached Gilray, then, and without a word handed him my pouch, while the others drew nearer. Nothing was to be heard but the water oozing out and in beneath the house-boat. Gilray pushed the tobacco from him, as he might have pushed a bag of diamonds that he mistook for pebbles. I placed it against his arm, and motioned to the others not to look. Then I sat down beside Gilray, and almost smoked into his eyes. Soon the aroma reached him, and rapture struggled into his face. Slowly his fingers fastened on the pouch. He filled his pipe without knowing what he was doing, and I handed him a lighted spill. He took perhaps three puffs, and then gave me a look of reverence that I know well. It only comes to a man once in all its glory—the first time he tries the Arcadia Mixture—but it never altogether leaves him.
"Where do you get it?" Gilray whispered, in hoarse delight.
The Arcadia had him for its own. "

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thats the entire book for you ! One brilliant chapter after another.

Really though, the book is one brilliant sentence after another.
" I seldom recommend the Arcadia to men whom I do not know intimately, lest in the after-years I should find them unworthy of it."

:)

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I think the Arcadia Mixture is entirely fictitious.
"If they are smoking common tobaccoes, they must either be allowed to try ours or requested to withdraw. One need only put his head in at my door to realize that tobaccoes are of two kinds, the Arcadia and others. No one who smokes the Arcadia would ever attempt to describe its delights, for his pipe would be certain to go out. When he was at school, Jimmy Moggridge smoked a cane chair, and he has since said that from cane to ordinary mixtures was not so noticeable as the change from ordinary mixtures to the Arcadia. I ask no one to believe this, for the confirmed smoker in Arcadia detests arguing with anybody about anything. Were I anxious to prove Jimmy's statement, I would merely give you the only address at which the Arcadia is to be had. But that I will not do. It would be as rash as proposing a man with whom I am unacquainted for my club. You may not be worthy to smoke the Arcadia Mixture."

Status
Not open for further replies.