PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
So first let me say that the cat and dog still need cleaning up But this is the set so far.

From left to right we have first the tiger, not supposed to exist then 2 mephistos followed by the skull, the second rarest of the 5 that were previously known and finally the first prophet.

This one is a little blurry, I still need to work on the whole pictures with my phone since the camera is acting up. First off we have the 2 prophets followed by 2 sultans, also not supposed to exist, and last 2 noblemen.

In the this shot you can see both the noblemen again followed by daniel boone and lastly the dog which is the rarest of the 5 styles

The last shot are my 3 medico mephistos who according to Bill over at sm frank were not supposed to exist either.

So in summary up until I found the cat, the sultan, daniel boone and the medico mephistos there were only supposed to be 5 different briar figurals. The nobleman, the prophet and mephisto being the "common" ones with the skull and dog being the rarest. As far as I can figure the kaywoodies that are outside the catalog offerings were perhaps try outs for the meerschaum figurals which were offered in a greater variety of carvings and the medicos were perhaps for one reason or another deemed not good enough to bear the kaywoodie name but to nice to be tossed so they were a sort of second in the figural line. In my research and diggings there are possibly 6 other briar offerings. A cow, a sheik, a paul bunyon/charelton heston looking one and 3 others that I am waiting on more pictures to tell if they are unique or not. I would love to hear from anyone who has one unique to these or even the same as I am always trying to dig up more info on them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amazing collection. I didn't know that Kaywoodie had such a depth of figurals. These must have been produced over years ... when? In the fifties? That's a notable collection.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
You're the one who got the tiger. Right on. I was tempted but did not bid on that one. Rare indeed. Quite a collection. This is the first time I've seen or heard about them making a dog too. Where's the cat? Did I miss it in the pics? The rare skull would have to be my favorite out of all of them. Great shaping.
The only one I have left is an unsmoked large buffalo head Kaywoodie that is noteworthy as I've never heard of that one either. I can take and post a pic later if interested.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Buck I am very interested. I would love to have the pic for the master list my kaywoodie forum. Not sure if I am allowed to link it here. also the cat is the first one on the left in the first pic.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I'd love to see more myself Mr. Jones and thanks for the info.
Its not a very active forum but there is tons of info on the entire sm frank line.
http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Very nice work, thanks for sharing the pictures.

The 30 year history of the series makes me think one talented craftsman did all the work, or at least had his hand very firmly over a select carver or two.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one popped up on the Pipe Smokers Forum - can you share any info about this shape?

IMG_20160613_184751_zpsskvzaomn.jpg

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Thanks everyone I love Kaywoodies but especially the figurals. Jones I have been chatting with the fellow that posted that on the other forum my guess is Beethoven or Bach made between 1934-1955 carved by Harry Visco. Its a little tough to call this one for sure since up until a year or so ago it was generally believed that there were only ever 5 briar figurals made this was even the belief of Bill Fauerbach the current and I believe 3rd generation owner of SM Frank. Mephisto, The Prophet, The Nobleman, The Skull and The Dog. Since then I have personally found and purchased The Sultan, Daniel Boone and The Tiger. Further up you will see the buffaloe buckaroo posted and now this one as well. It has been really exciting finding all these new ones popping up and it has really expanded the available knowledge base on this particular line.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@life2on, I knew you'd have some interest and input. It is very interesting that the factory wasn't even aware of the ones made in this series. Did anyone every interview Harry Visco, what is his history? (guessing he has long passed)

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
As far as I know he was never interviewed. Currently the theory is that while there were originally only 5 actual production models in briar there were a whole bunch in meerschaum (still trying to put together a list but info is scarce) and that these were sort of trial runs in briar with just a few of each made.

Status
Not open for further replies.