Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Any of you guys ever have TMJ from your pipes? All of a sudden today my jaw started clicking and popping, not painful (yet). Not sure if it's from my pipes because I don't have more than a few bowls a week. Any input would be certainly appreciated. Thanks guys.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
This has happened to me without any rhyme or reason. I would not immediately worry that it is caused by your pipes.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
I once had to deal with something like this, and it was long before I started smoking. Mine went away after a day or so.

If it accompanies a soreness in your throat or neck, you could have cooked your sinuses. I did this in my first weeks of smoking. I just over did it and had to take a few days off from smoking. But, also my jaw clicks for no reason. It has since I got old, ha ha. I have lots of things that click now.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for the input guys. No teeth grinding as far as I can tell, I'll check with my wife on this.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I actually experienced this and thought the same thing. Indeed, I think that, for me, it was the pipe. It happened only on the side that I held my pipe, and I never had it before. I never clenched hard and yet I still got worried.
I moved the pipe around more, paid more attention to position, and stretched my jaw from time to time.
It has since gone away.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Maybe. I can't say one way or the other. I'm just glad that it didn't become a thing.
Good luck.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My jaw started popping in my 20's (46 now). No pain or discomfort it just popped when I ate. In 2010 I moved to a new town and a new dentist. During Q&A I mentioned my jaw. Solution was braces. My teeth became out of alignment and I was compensating for it when I chewed. So at 44 I had braces for a year and it fixed my problem.
Long term damage to my jaw is yet to be seen.
Just sharing my experience.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Hunter and everyone thank you for your concern. I'll take your advise and use it well.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Mine has been popping too, and I have changed my method of chewing. Leacha, thanks for posting that. That, I believe, is whats happening to me.
I will consult the dentist. It's an army dentist, so I doubt it will end well...
HA HA.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
pcr1, get it checked.

A few years ago my jaw started popping / clicking.

The joint then locked - yes locked. I could only open my mouth just enough to eat.

I had to have surgery on the joint and the jaw bone to repair the damage to the joint and to correct a long term TMJ issue that I did not realize I even had. Jaw was then wired together for 6 weeks. This really sucks!

Hope it is nothing, but best to check it out.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
If it accompanies a soreness in your throat or neck, you could have cooked your sinuses.
That happened to me last week. It felt like I got punched after a longer smoking session. No jaw clicking however. Thanks for mentioning this, Cosmic.

Status
Not open for further replies.