PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
It has been hurting for a few days... Wondering why, it started when I started smoking the pipe but just chalked it up to be a coincidence. What you think?

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Ya, I barley bite on the steam though. Not even rely a bite. More of a rest, resting on my bottom teeth and gravity pulls the bowl down so the top of the steam hits my top teeth. Usually only for 30 sec-1 min max.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Just having your bite out of natural alignment takes getting used to. Even just hanging the bit loosely between the teeth is enough to cause soreness. Beats tongue burn any day though!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Just like learning the guitar and building calluses. God to know that it's somewhat normal. Thanks :puffpipe:

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
You may want to go with a lighter pipe. If you look at the kind of pipes that were popular back in the day, when lots and lots of people smoked pipes, you will notice that most of them are smaller than many of the pipes sold today. There is a reason for this. You want a smaller pipe unless you are willing to hand-hold the damned thing all the time. I personally don't like any pipe that weighs more than 58 grams (two ounces), and I prefer pipes that weigh less than 50 grams. Try a lighter pipe and see if it helps.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
lol Bradley, my jaws could crush a 2 by 4 for all the clenching I have done with my 4 kids.
I also don't like a pipe to be over 50 grams. I clench all the time so my absolute limit is 60 grams and I only have a few of those. The heavier ones I will have to hold more often even though my jaw muscles are in good shape.
One thing I have learned is that the stem design is a huge deal. Well crafted stems with comfortable buttons make clenching so much easier. Some stems are so poorly designed that no matter how light the pipes is, it will hurt your jaw.
Here is a pic of the most comfortable stem I have ever clenched. I have 16 pipes with stems the exact same or similar to this. When I buy pipes now, I pay attention to the design of the stem.

FH02095005.jpg

FH02095001.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
redbeard, that's the ticket, no pain no gain. Keep clenching that 61 oz baby and before you know it, you will be clenching one of old cajuns Ardor giants that are over 200 grams. Hell anything under 150 grams to old cajun is like a Stanwell featherweight to the rest of us.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Truth be told Momma said ugly boy you got to smoke something smaller if you want to smoke in my house, to which I replied. I heard dat Miss Billy. The old cajun :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.