PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
As some of you know, I just purchased a J. Alan pipe from Ebay estate auction. I had heard about this maker from fellows at the NYC Pipe Club and knew that one day I just must try this maker. The rave reviews were just too much to ignore.
My opportunity came to try one where the dollar amount was perfect for me. The pipe came in needing quite a bit of cleaning on the inside. The stem was atrocious with bite marks everywhere, but some diligent work on my polishing machine brought it back to pristine condition. No worries, a labor of love.
Now the decision; what tobacco to smoke. Should I dedicate this to English or Va's? I decided with my new love for the English, I would go in that direction. Bald Headed Teacher was elected and here we go.
I hate the pipe.
Why? It's draw is perfect. The balance is quite good. It looks great-the rustication is beautiful, the design is lovely, so what's the problem?
For those of us who have had the privilege of owning a Rad Davis pipe, one of the amazing things about his craftsmanship is the stem.
Ah, the stem. J. Alan's stem work, (after hearing about such perfection) is simply not up to the price point standard that, IMHO, the pipes are going for (at least in this specimen sample). I need a stem where there is a definitive button, followed by a gentle flow outward towards the bowl. This pipe's stem is crafted with an immediate swelling that is just incredibly annoying, at least to me. I just can't hold it comfortably clenching in my mouth.
Now, everyone, this type of thing is personal. My good buddy Roger is sitting next me as I'm writing this little missive, and he is offering to purchase it and take the burden off of my hands. He tried it last night and found it to be 'no problem'.
Well, there you go.
My quest for this ultimate pipe maker is now sated. I have tried 'perfection' and found it to be wanting.
Again, with no disrespect, this pipe is just not my cup of tea. Good Luck, Mr. J.Alan.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-ALAN-GRACIK-SQUAT-BULLDOG-SHAPED-PIPE-WITH-EXOTIC-WOOD-TRIM-PIPESTUD-/151143057939?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Ujfp3xIXuZaYSFrY6pofMeCUxsA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Life seems full of disappointments; sorry you hit the snag.
Ever onward and upward!
(Ending cliches with the hope you find the perfect pipe)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, I am very sorry you are not pleased with your J.Alan pipe, I know you were so excited to get one. Sometimes an artisans work just not match up to certain people. As you know I am extremely fussy about my stems so I am sure I would also find that pipe lacking. We both love Rad's stem work and we have gotten used to them so we have a baseline of comfort that we will not go below. Now since you are a clencher the stem is a huge deal, it could be that J.Alans customers are not big clenchers and are happy with his stem work. I have heard he spends and inordinate amount of time on his stems, you would think they would at least be comfy.
Just goes to show, that just because a pipe is high dollar, it does not mean you will love it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck if memory serves that pipe was made in 04. Maybe it is one of his earlier works and his stem work is better now?
Allan has been spoiled being that he owns a few Rads and a couple of Thile's. Those guys know how to do stems in a big way.

Dec 24, 2012
peck if memory serves that pipe was made in 04. Maybe it is one of his earlier works and his stem work is better now?
That's what I was thinking. I recall someone saying that even Rad Davis told them not to buy any of his earlier pipes because he didn't feel they were anywhere near the standard of his more recent output.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
What I take away from this is that perhaps, Rad Davis is what Allan is looking for and has already found.

Dec 24, 2012
From the web, re J Alan:
"Like many other pipemakers before me, I began with a few hobby-grade briar blocks, preformed stems, and a few hand tools. Soon after making my first few pipes, I began to explore my creativity and technical ability by increasing the difficulty of designs and utilizing exotic hardwoods as decorative extensions and inserts. A major turn in my understanding of pipe design and engineering occurred in the summer of 2004 under the tutelage of the artisan behind STOA Briars, Todd Johnson. Todd introduced me to the Danish pipemaking tradition by helping hone my designs into more graceful, flowing creations. Additionally, acquainted me with the unique Danish drilling techniques that enable the pipemaker to fully utilize the grain of each block. This experience represented a transition point in my craft from hobby-quality to high-grade smoking pipes. After retooling my shop and acquiring better materials, I was able to combine these with the knowledge I had gained while working with Todd and increase the quality of my products."

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, Rad told me on a few occasions when I would ask him about certain estate pipes I was looking at not to bother. When he first started he was not doing hand cut stems, maybe it is the same with J.Alan.
I just took a look at J. Alans site it says he started in 2004 so this is obviously one of his earlier works. When I look at estate pipes, I never buy any artisans early works. It is also one of the reasons I stay away from new artisans as it takes a few years at least before they are adept at making a quality hand cut stem.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Peck and Harris
Most likely, you guys are correct. Jeffry is a young pipe maker and I could have purchased an early piece of his work. Harris you have warned me about this possibility on any pipe maker, including Rad. I do remember hearing that Rad's early creations have difficulties-the talent is there, but not up to 'snuff'. Similar to any of the major composers of music-early work showing incredible promise, but maturity is and was needed.
I just wanted a J. Alan pipe and I didn't take caution as to the details of when the pipe was made-the price blinded me.
@jgriff-yes, I have found Rad Davis. But I'm sure there are other pipe craftsmen out there who can make fine pipes. This is a learning experience for me, and mistakes will be made. Hopefully, I'll learn from them.
Thanks guys.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, I am sure you have learned a valuable lesson, pipe makers need time to hone their craft and their early works are normally no where near as good as their work years later.
When I buy estate pipes, I always find out what year the pipe was made. In the case of Rad, I do not go earlier than 08 now. I have one of his from 06 and while the stem is very good, it is not as good as his later stuff and his shaping back then was not as good. When it comes to Brian Ruthernberg again 08 is my cut off point.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Sad that this one didn't work out for you but don't give up on the guy. If it's an 04 he's had almost another decade of pipe making under his belt. His recent work has grain that is unbelievable. I can't speak to his stems but visually his pipes are stunning.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@Peck--my good friend was with me when I wrote my first post about the pipe, and he wants to buy it. He has no problem with it at all!
I'm just remembering an earlier thread where someone mentioned if they every purchased a higher end pipe and ever posted that it wasn't up to their expectations.
Well, I guess I'm posting this now. LOL
Once again, to be fair, this was probably early work of Jeff, and it is my fault for not doing due diligence. I should have known based on the auction final price, those in the 'know' did not bid heavily on it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Allan, I offer my condolences as well. Glad to hear you can sell it on without much problem.
I'm just remembering an earlier thread where someone mentioned if they every purchased a higher end pipe and ever posted that it wasn't up to their expectations.
Well, I guess I'm posting this now. LOL
And three cheers for being so honest and objective about the pipe. That's more unusual than it ought to be.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, I feel badly you got that pipe. I should have gone with my instincts and talked you out of it. I knew because it was rusticated and not sandblasted it was one of his earlier works and it might not be what you were looking for. The only reason I didn't was because I knew you had a major hard on for it because of all the ones you have seen at your pipe club. Next time I will offer my opinion and hopefully keep you from getting a clunker. I am glad that Roger took it off your hands as I know he is not like us in regards to being so anal about stems. I am sure he will enjoy that pipe as it probably smokes just fine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, this one has your name all over it. I am sure your wife will not mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300998958854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Allen,
You may want to contact Jeff directly and let him know. He may be able to make a new stem for the pipe that would meet your requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.