My internet friend is depressed about the state of affairs.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

countrysquire

Lurker
Apr 30, 2017
A friend who is thousands of miles away from me, is depressed about the current state of affairs.
He just wrote me that he is at a low point, seeing the way things are going and that he has no choice but to accept things as they are and that he just has to learn to live with what he cannot change.
I offered that by accepting the situation, you are still living with the specter that is upsetting you and that I personally, have chosen to "IGNORE", rather that merely "ACCEPT" things. Then, it is beyond the pale and out of mind. Don't give it room to lurk.
I further suggest that he purchase a "tobacco" pipe and adopt the philosophy of Bertrand Russell. I even have his photo hanging over my computer.
Assume a position of authority over your situation and "IGNORE" any mitigating factors, that are contributing to your present state. They become irrelevant and therefore, do not exist.
They float away like so much pipe smoke. try it; you'll like it.

pipe.jpg

And don't forget to
download.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's sure true that you have to take time to live your own life and think your own thoughts. I'm a news junkie, but I also know how to take a walk (no headphones or devices), read a book, jabber on Forums, and otherwise find out what else is happening in my world that isn't a media event or feature, or someone else's take on a situation.
I want music, but not all the time, not a soundtrack to my life. I want news, but not all the time, commentary, analysis.
Psychology has a good slang term for the bad effects of overexposure to anything from media to too much family. They talk about playing "ain't it awful," where most of a person's thoughts are raking over depression and unhappiness with life. So, don't play "ain't it awful."

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I think how you deal with untenable situations depends on your personality. There isn't any one right way. For instance, you can go out like Beethoven shaking your fist at the heavens during a raging thunderstorm. Or you can softly leave the planet like Mozart humming parts of some music he just finished. They both ended up the same.
Personally, I get no joy from fighting. I'll find some other way to get what I need if the situation demands it. I'm at a point in my life where I value peace and harmony over endless resistance and struggle. To each his own.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Life's a bitch! then you die!" It's what you want to make of it. Some are in need of medication and others are simply overwhelmed with life. Then there are those of us who take it as it comes and have a bit of fun doing so.
I learned early in my copper career that I couldn't change the world. I could only make my beat a little better and safer for others. Once I learned that lesson, life got a lot less complicated.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I offered that by accepting the situation, you are still living with the specter that is upsetting you and that I personally, have chosen to "IGNORE", rather that merely "ACCEPT" things. Then, it is beyond the pale and out of mind. Don't give it room to lurk.
That seems to me to be half of the equation.
The other half is: FIGHT BACK.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
When you stop and think about it, the moment the doctor slaps your butt and you take your first breath you start your journey to death.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Most people don't stop to think about it. Sadly, those people don't stop to think about much else, either.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'd say the OP could be summed up with 3 words: ignorance is bliss...which is precisely the motto the eugenicist elites (such as Bertrand Russell) want the profane masses to adopt.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I just found the friggin arrow! ^^^^^

Had a friend of mine that used to say life was like a bucket of sh&$ with the handle on the inside. He never went or grew to far.

A week away from all news does wonder for the soul.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Tell your internet friend to get off the internet and take a walk. Sunlight does wonders for the mind.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
So your friend lives in France, then? Just kidding. They are just the place I know of that had an election recently.
I agree with much of what is said. ^^^^^^^
If you don't like your reality, change it. It is easier to do than most think and just baby steps in that direction will pay huge dividends later. Just tell him to keep a stiff upper lip and share my favorite quote from the Kelsey Grammer autobiography: "Stagger onward, rejoicing."

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Wow. I must be turning into a curmudgeon, because the first thing that comes to my mind after reading this is...
Suck it up buttercup!
Am I the only one here that feels like we're living in an alternate universe of some sorts?
C'mon man, when are folks gonna get over this Victimhood Mentality, stop believing all of this Manufactured Information being created by the Main Stream Media and the likes of George Soros and his lapdogs, with talk of "Micoragression, White Privilege, Social Justice, Blah, frickin Blah, Blah.
O.P., not tryin to be a D!ck here, but your friend needs to realize that Life Ain't Fair brutha. Time for yer buddy to get off of the internet, out of his mom's basement and get a job. If he can't find work, volunteer at the local soup kitchen and get an opportunity to help folks that truly have something to be depressed about.
bwthdik? ymmv
Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.