My In-laws are in Town and I scored Big!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So my inlaws are in town, which is a good thing. They are lots of fun and wanted to go antiquing which we like to do, especially me, prime pipe hunting opportunities and I scored big! I picked up a Kirsten, a Falcon, an Old English which is a second of Sasieni, and a Kemperling made in Austria. I will probably restore and sell the first three but the Kemperling is for me. It is a hand carved briar face in the likeness of an old Cowboy. I don't normally go for the briar faces, but this one just called to me, can't wait to clean it up and smoke it, especially as it was a gift purchase from my Father in law. Also we hadn't seen them since last year so he brought me my late Christmas, 3 pipes, a pipe toy, and a lighter. There were two Kaywoodies, a Grabow, and a neat old lighter in the box that has never been used. One of the Kaywoodies had a stem repair that sadly didn't hold up well when I took it apart, but the other two are neat, you can see them in the photo with the pipe toy and lighter. As these are gifts I will clean them up and smoke them too.

And here we are, this is the first time my father in law has smoked a pipe. He is enjoying some Molto Dolce in my Aldo Velani, I'm smoking Capstan in my bent Pete.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice scores Dave. Wish I had in-laws who would buy me pipes! The cowboy is cool,even if you don't smoke it it would look great setting on a shelf!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
wow.... I think my in laws would not have too many good things to say about smoking...

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Very cool, I think I'm more envious of you having in-laws that you can hang out with than the pipes you scored. :)
My in-laws stare at me, ask really probing inappropriate questions, then discuss my answers with each other and my wife in Chinese. She says it's nothing, but still... 8O

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah they are great people. My FIL enjoyed it but I don't see him taking up the hobby. It has been fun to hang out and I really appreciate his interest to bond with me and support what I do. We are going out again today for more antiquing. But I really can't wait to get to,work on the cowboy. I'm leaving on a trip on Wednesday and that one is coming with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not much on representational carving either, but the old cowboy has some character. What a nifty

trove of pipes. Your wife has good family!

Status
Not open for further replies.