PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I realized last night that I tend to group my tobacco blends into three categories. Heavy, Med, and Light nicotine. My heavy rotation is my most reached of the three, but the others have their place and time. My heavy rotation consists of...
Bayou Morning

Irish Flake

Old Joe Krantz

Picayune

Night Cap

60/40 Exclusive/BLWB

1792 Flake
Bayou Morning is my most reached for, and I think Picayune may be the most heavy of my rotation. I've had many of the ropes and enjoy them, they just are not in my regular rotation in this category. What would you add to this rotation? Any blends that you don't consider heavy (I know it is very subjective)?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
More organized than me. My closet is full of tins, and jars, but not categorically.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I second the Dark Flake plus call for some GH/SG blends and Royal Yacht on the list, of course.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I’ve never had Dark Flake, I’ll have to add that to the list of to try. Deathmetal I do enjoy a bow of the Yatch from time to time, but I don’t find it to quite hit that spot for me. Also it’s a singular blend in its taste and I don’t often find myself reaching for it.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Subjectively, I didn't find Bayou Morning to be Nic heavy, merely delicious and satisfying. I definitely need to get some more and pay closer attention next time. Night Cap is in my heavy category along with SG Brown No.4 Kendal Twist. Lately, I find myself adding the No.4 to anything that isn't nailed shut. I'm especially keen on getting my hands on some of the Old Joe Krantz, 1792, and aforementioned Dark Flake to try.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Oops. I didn't mean Dark Flake. I actually was referring to SG Lakeland Dark which I was perusing online earlier this evening. Looks tasty. Not sure what the other gentlemen meant.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/samuel-gawith-lakeland-dark/2005385/#p-2005384

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
My Heavies:

Peterson Irish Flake

D&R Picayune

SG 1792 Flake

SG Lakeland Dark

G&H Dark Flake, unscented; Dark Plug, unscented

Five Brothers

MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky

SG/G&H unflavored ropes
Infrequently, will also smoke:

Tambolaka

American Tobacco Cotton Boll

Mapacho (Nicotiana rustica)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
TexMexPipe,
I do enjoy a bow of the Yatch from time to time, but I don’t find it to quite hit that spot for me. Also it’s a singular blend in its taste and I don’t often find myself reaching for it.
I will pray for you.
Just kidding; I entirely understand. To be distinctive means not to be universal. Also inappropriate for some circumstances, sort of like me and any public event with either an open bar, karaoke, or gods help us, both.
Heavies
SG/GH - Brown No. 4, Brown Twist Sliced, Brown Irish X, Kendal Dark, Dark Birdseye, Conniston Cut Plug Unscented (Lakeland warning), Lakeland Dark
American Tobacco Company - Cotton Boll Twist
C&D - Burley Flake #1
Medium-Heavies
Peterson - Perfect Plug, Irish Flake, Irish Oak
Five Brothers - Five Brothers
Dunhill - Royal Yacht, Nightcap
C&D - Old Joe Krantz, Big N' Burley
I am told that Bow-Legged Bear is another to add to this category, but I have not tried it because of the name. "Birth Defect Animal" sounds like an awful smoke.

I don't find Bayou Morning to be very strong either, nor very good. But, I am like the only person in the entire universe that doesn't like it. I think it's whatever burley is in there, or lack of a good real Virginia or something. :puffy: Like I said, I am the only person...
Dark Flake unscented. It's still a little tainted, but still very good. C&D Burley Flake #1 is another good one. AND, the mighty Condor.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Dark Flake unscented. It's still a little tainted, but still very good.
Indeed. How could I forget?
But I find your lack of faith in Conniston Cut Plug to be disturbing...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't find Bayou Morning to be very strong either, nor very good. But, I am like the only person in the entire universe that doesn't like it. I think it's whatever burley is in there

I think I remember you mentioning this in another thread but it confused me because I'm pretty sure there is no Burley in Bayou Morning. I love the stuff but it's my understanding that it's just a VaPer with heavy Perique (granted, Perique starts out as Burley). A good year in a jar really makes this one shine.
Heavy:

1792 Flake

Brown Bogie

Dark Flake SCENTED

Westmorland Slices (when I have it)

Bracken Flake (one of the best flakes ever created... and then taken away from us!)
Med-Heavy

Condor

St. Bruno

Perfect Plug

Old Joe Krantz

Warrior Plug

Revor Plug/Latakia Flake

Haunted Bookshop

Status
Not open for further replies.