My Haddo's Delight smells like acetone. help?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hello
I got a small sample of Haddo's delight a few weeks ago. i finished it, and liked it enough to pick up a tin of it at my local B&M(for the hefty sum of $15, no less)
I opened the tin and it smelled like the sample i had. kinda peppery, slight alcohol smell. it was dated early 2015 so it had a little bit of age. I put it into a mason jar
Now, about a week after i closed the mason jar, i wanted a bowl of haddos. I open the jar and BAM.... smells like straight nail polish remover. very, very strong strong smell completely overpowers the tobacco. it did not smell like this when i opened the tin. The mason jar had previously contained some Semois and it didn't smell like this when i transfered the haddo's into it, so i dont think the jar is the problem
If i let the jar sit open for a couple minutes and air out, i can smell the tobacco again. If i seal it, and open it up again in 2-3 hours, it smells like acetone again.
Does anyone have any clue whats going on with my haddos?
Edit: i posted this without thinking and its probably in the wrong section. sorry about that. still acclimating myself to this forum

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Does your mason jars have a humidity button inserted? was the jar new, clean, what was in the jar before that might have affected the tobacco

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
Does your mason jars have a humidity button inserted? was the jar new, clean, what was in the jar before that might have affected the tobacco
No humidity device in it. The jar wasn't new, but only used once to hold Semois tobacco. I didn't clean it out after the semois, as it had no smell and there was only a little bit of dust that stuck to the bottom of the jar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take it back to your tobacco shop when it's been sealed for a while and give the proprietor a whiff. He might talk his way around it, but he might agree with you and get back to the source. Could have been some kind of a spill that inadvertently affected your batch. I recently bought a tin of Haddo's that I am greatly looking forward to, but I don't think I'll smoke it if it smells like nail polish remover. Mine cost $17 ... to help support the shop, you know. I've jarred Semois, and it has a very earthy smell, but nothing related to acetone, more like a stable! Love that Semois.

May 4, 2015
If the sample you had was stored in a baggie, it probably was airing out enough that the topping wasn't allowed to concentrate like it does in the jar. I have to brace myself when I open my jarred Haddo's. I think it's just how it is. That brandy topping is "forward," shall we say.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Nail polish remover is my entire thought regarding Haddo's. I smoked a mouthful once. Outright the worst flavor that ever came out of a pipe imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.