PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I went to visit my grandparents today with the family, something I don't do enough, and my grandfather and I got to talking about pipes. He showed me to two he had gotten 20+ years ago a meerschaum and a Savinelli Nonpareil 9604. Both looked hardly smoked at all and he said he wanted me to have the Savinelli after I offered to try to clean it up for him.

021-600x450.jpg

020-600x450.jpg

024-600x450.jpg

023-600x450.jpg

There is quite a bit of oxidation on the stem, but only one little dent from teeth chatter. What you see in the bowl is not cake it is dust. Looking to get a little information on this pipe from any of the gurus out there. Can't wait to do my first real restoration.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Nice, that should clean up well. What is that ring material at the top of the shank, bone,horn or plastic?

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I have no idea steyrshrek. I was hoping some of the gurus might be able to give me some more information on this pipe. My grandfather never really got into smoking the pipe; the two he had were given to him by a friend that used to sell pipes door to door.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
That is great man. I have my wife's grandfathers meer. It is at least 60+ years old. He dies in 71, before we were married. She says she remembers him smoking it as a little girl. I am happy to have it, and I know how you feel about your grandfathers pipes. :puffy:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Wow just think what it would be like to sell pipes door to door today!!!
The only door sales men I get are kids selling the local paper, guys trying to get me to switch utilities and previously, our local thief selling whatever he had at the momment. He was not very bright.
Winton

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
That's very nice! I was unfortunate to not know either of my grandfathers, but my father says that my grandad did smoke a pipe. I found out about this after I told my dad that I started smoking a pipe. I'm sure that pipe will clean up nice and you will smoke it with pride. Enjoy!

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
8 years? You must be referring to my other post about going back home for vacation. That trip won't happen for another 3 weeks. My grandparents live about 45 minutes away and I try to go visit them once a month, (not enough).

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I've done some looking around on the internet and can't find too much, but looks like the part on the shank is horn.
I plan on using barkeepers friend to clean stem; will this harm the two dot inserts on the stem? I think they are brass.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That's wonderful grizzly, hope it cleans up well for you. That pipe will always have a special meaning.
@winton: I was thinking the same thing...imagine selling pipes door to door...those days are loooooong gone. Totally different world now.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Great pipe friend, I've emailed savinelli for info of estate pipe I got from father, and they replied with all needed info, you can email them and attach pics in the mail, I'm sure they will help. Here is the email address
info@savinelli.it
of your can direct your request to Mr. Giacomo Carlesi: g.carlesi@savinelli.it
Hope I could help you.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My grandfather smoked a pipe similar to that. He only had two pipes that I know of. One odd thing he did, and I saw him do it time after time. He smoked a drug store tobacco in a foil pouch, don't remember what it was. But when he finished his smoke, he'd shake out the loose ash and dump whatever remained in his pipe back into the pouch. He'd mix it up with his tamper and reload to go at it again.
TopD

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for all the words and advice everyone. I can't wait to be smoking it, and this will be one I never get rid of.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What a great looking Hungarian. That should restore nicely. I bet given the pipes age, that insert is some type of horn (vs. acrylic). With a little work, that briar and stem could look like new. Keep us posted.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Started to working on this pipe; this is where I'm at now.

0032-600x450.jpg

0021-600x450.jpg

Stem cleaned up real nice.
Will post more pictures when I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.