PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Hi all,

So awhile back, I posted about finding a lighter I had been searching for some time

As of that posting, I hadn't received it yet, and when I finally did, it was the same week we started our road trip across America, so I never was able to post a review.

So here it is.

This is a movie prop replica from the movie Constantine. In the film, (I'll give no spoilers) John Constantine chainsmokes and fights demons with an array of weapons, including pyromancy, using his large St. Christopher medal lighter. The actual size prop is massive, way too large for the average pocket, so I chose the smaller, more manageable sized option.

This particular lighter features a zippo insert inside a bronze case, custom made by a company in Japan, and sold by a site in Canada. (I'm not sure I can post the link here due to this forum's advertising policies)

The first thing you notice is the size, it's big, bigger than a standard zippo, and heavy, almost as heavy as three regular zippos. It's hinge is massive, overkill for a lighter of this size, but adds to the authenticity.

It's thick too, you could probably hammer nails with it. It opens with that classic zippo "clink", but closes with a sound more akin to a shotgun chambering a shell.

The brass zippo insert matches the case perfectly but I wish Zippo made a pipe insert in brass, I'm only finding inserts in chrome. If anybody knows where to find authentic zippo brass pipe lighter inserts, or has any questions about the lighter, send me a PM.

All in all, it's a helluva lighter. A bit pricy, and maybe a bit heavy for every day carry, but it's a design you don't see very often. It's really unique on the outside, and a trusty zippo inside.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I watched a few episodes of Constantine on HuLu. Have to say it was not totally my cup of tea but intriguing. The lighter is consistent with the series and pretty cool.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
madman, I saw a post here once that I cannot find. But the poster took a small piece of wood that fit for the regular Zippo insert. He took the block that fit perfectly between the sides of the insert and then drilled a hole. This effectively made the regular insert a pipe insert. I have not tried it but it looked like it would work quite nicely!

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Totally awsome zippo! Actually watched it last night. Also, it's a St. Benedict seal.

http://www.osb.org/gen/medal.html

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Madman, I haven't seen your previous post. If I had seen that, I would have totally helped you finding a Constantine Zippo. I have a friend who makes Constantine Zippos in Russia. I also knew some online retailers of that product (South Korea). I watched the movie a long time ago and I was in love with that lighter. You are right, the actual lighter is in size of a cigarette pack actually. And I heard that they only made 2 of those lighters for the movie only.
Anyway, that is a nice looking Zippo lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.