PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Well fellas my girlfriend has said she wants nothing to do with tobacco or pipes anymore. She says I am obsessed and can't control my spending. I am only down $75 on pipes and $20 on tobacco and I told her that is not bad at all. She then said something about getting married someday to which I replied she will cost mre than my hobby ever will :D (just a tip don't ever say this lol). Do any of you guys have issues with your girlfriend/wife being anti pipes and our hobby? I don't know what to do and trading her in for a newer model isn't an option.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Be afraid. Based on my experience with women that is all the advice I can give you.

Cheers (and good luck figuring this out!)

Collin
Edit: spelling.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Well after two years of being together she broke up with me over pipes. Wow, sometimes I forget just how effed up life can be. I hope this isn't permanent.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Sorry to hear of your plight. My wife smokes cigarettes and spends way more than I do on her habit. She encourages my pipe smoking because it's something that we can do together and she sees how much I enjoy it. Hang in there and stay connected here.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Wow!! Maybe she's bluffing that you will quit the pipe then return with a victory under her belt.
After pipes, what else would you have to give up ?
Good luck with whatever happens.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
She says I am obsessed and can't control my spending. I am only down $75 on pipes and $20 on tobacco...
Ending a two year relationship over $95 worth of a hobby is pretty extreme. I'd imagine that if you caved or even compromised in the slightest, you can only expect more of the same. Tobacco and pipes today may mean that you'll need to second guess any hobby you might want to take up in the future.
If you two aren't living together or have a child, you should think hard about what you're willing to put up with and if the trade-off is worth it.
In any case, good luck.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
How old are you? You seem to be about the same age as me (early 20's)
I've been through a lot, all with the same girl. If I've figured out one thing it's that it's extremely important to be your own person. She's going to hate things you love and you're going to hate things she loves. Plain and simple. My girlfriend thinks it's weird that I smoke a pipe. I've told her multiple times that I like it and I'm going to do it. It got to the point where she just lets me go. As long as you stand you ground and not be rude about it (at least at first haha), she should understand. Think of something she spends money on and bring that to her attention. She needs to realize you're not the only one "wasting" money.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
that vid is hilarious:

"so my wife says i spend too much on pipes pipe tobacco and cigars, so i said she has been dieting for forty years with nothing to show for it... then i blew cigar smoke in her face -hehe"

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Sorry to hear man, as you know my wifey gets at me now and then. In the end I find a happy medium she thinks it is a win and I still walk away happy. In the beginning I was spending like mad trying to get a ton of pipes and try every tobacco. Now I get a pipe every 2 or 3 weeks and tobacco once a month. She hasn't caught on that I still spend the same. She wins since I am not always buying and I win cause I get the same just in one sitting.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I am with alot of the other posters here, in that if you compromised on the pipe issue what would have been next? And to throw a relationship away on $95 is amazing.You are better off in the long run.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
My wife does not smoke never has . I told her long ago I smoke you knew that when you met me . It does not take much to make me happy . Smoke , coffee, soda . I never want to to find the house wanting for any of the three . 16 years later I still drink coffee and soda and smoke daily .

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My wife knows that my priority is the dog, my pipes, and her -- in that order. If I buy a pipe or a large tobacco order,

she gets another pair of shoes. Haven't had any beefs yet. Geez, women's priorities are all screwed-up.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
May I suggest she may have had other reasons for moving out. Maybe she was tired of being in a relationship. Perhaps she decided she wanted her independence and used your pipe smoking as an excuse.

If you are determined to continue with your pipes, she may have done you a favor. Life is to short to endure people who won't give and take. At a month short of my 68th birthday, I realized a long time ago that there are times when you must cut your losses and move on. Perhaps this is one of those times. Only you can resolve the problem. I wish you luck whatever you decide.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My wife does not smoke never has . I told her long ago I smoke you knew that when you met me . It does not take much to make me happy . Smoke , coffee, soda . I never want to to find the house wanting for any of the three . 16 years later I still drink coffee and soda and smoke daily .
This is as if Igloo was taking dictation from me.

My wife knew when we were dating that I could handle some "bitching" about cigarettes, but not about my pipes. That was off limits. She accepted that. Now after 20 years of marriage, the "War Department" knows that if she makes a clandestine trip to Skips and brings home a surprise for me, even if its just a cork pipe knocker, all is and will be wedded bliss. Of course I do the same, but never right away, after her gift, or with her knowledge, it's the surprise that says "I was thinking about you even when you weren't there".

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
the 220% rule: when it comes to having a non smoking GF, remember that every pipe/tobacco purchase you make will cost you 220% of what the sale price is. This is because you need to do something (of monetary value of course) for her in order for her to feel like you care more about her than your hobby. e.g. whenever i make a $25 pipe related purchase, I know that I have to drop 30 bucks on dinner with malady.

Status
Not open for further replies.