PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
After only 10 hours of work, I've successfully turned a $1 pipe into a $5 dollar pipe. That's quite a profit margin.
I acquired this piece of firewood in an estate lot with several other pipes. I was going to throw it into the pipe parts box, but decided to make it my nightshift project for last week. While most of the guys at work sleep or watch movies all night, I work on pipes.
This is an Italian stamped Whitehall Thermofilter. I have an English and American made Whitehall but have been looking for an Italian made for sometime.
The button was completely missing and it had several deep gashes in the briar.
BX9XaFrl.jpg

IXLurBil.jpg

rYTLOnSl.jpg

I started out by sanding the bowl with 400 grit. Then after topping,I beveled the rim. After beveling the rim I now have a new found respect for all the pipe carvers that shape pipes by hand.
Next up, the stem. This is the biggest stem rebuild I've done so far. I had no idea what the original looked like so I wanted to make it look like the turn of century rounded buttons. I used my old Loewe & Co. pipe for reference because of the similar shape and size.
YC1WaWyl.jpg

It took 4 or 5 applications of Ca & charcoal to get a rough shape of what I was going for.
wDpCHLpm.jpg

o4gvAFrl.jpg

q3j5ovzl.jpg

8GnR501l.jpg

xabSlTyl.jpg

cm6BTEbl.jpg

N9cmwEyl.jpg

f2BqVkol.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for saving it. She's a bute. an for $5 send it my way! LOL seriously Great Job.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Dave:
Once again you have made the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear. I especially like your transformation of the button, top-notch, Sir!
Shall we expect to see you soon on late-night infomercials touting the benefits of your "get-rich-slow" program? I can see the testimonials now: A.G. of West Virginia says, "Restoring old pipes paid my daughter's way through beauty college." K.G. of Florida says, "Dave's methods enabled me to afford the purchase my own server, and the rest is Internet history!" And last, but not least, W.R. of Pennsylvania says, "Soon I will have made enough in profits to start my own small tobacco company. I couldn't have done it without the GRS program. Thanks, Dave!" :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beautiful job. Five dollars my ass. Put it on ebay with a starting bid of $1,100 and see what happens. It's as pretty as some at that price. (I'm kidding, but just.)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That was exceptionally good work your referb of the stem was just awesome. Good work and keep doing what you do and posting photos. I love to see it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Another amazing restoration. Most including myself would have tossed it into the trash! Well done. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.