My Freakin' Hands are Tired

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by wyfbane
  • Latest reply from jollyroger
  1. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have written 28 pages of scholarly work (3 separate ones) in the last 18 hours, and have 12 to go (final) before midnight tonite.

Not achingly cramped like they get from handwriting, but a general fatigue where I am making way too many typos and poor punctuation mistakes.

WHY oh WHY do I procrastinate so? The 3.9 GPA is the culprit I suspect. Anyhoo, wish me luck!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know your pain. I authored 7 reports yesterday all being between 7 and 9 pages. I set a timer and get up at least once an hour. It really helps.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rAHnwWfsaY

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It took a few teachers, some late nights and resulting low grades to learn that I did not, in fact, work better under pressure. I simply worked faster. The results were not as deep and insightful as I firmly believed them to be.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes best off luck, you will reap the benefits at the end. Smoke a bowl say for 30 minutes then get back to it.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck!

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just knew if I got behind I'd be lost, so I'd start a term paper as soon as it was assigned. I had a pretty good system -- small index cards for bibliog., big ones coded to the small cards for notes. Likewise reading. I knew if I didn't feed the info into my brain over time I wouldn't absorb any of it. In a sense, it was laziness put to good use. Final week was a kind of a freaky high, not that I was such a great student, but that I could unload all this material rapidly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I learned early in college not to procrastinate. I had a prof ask me once, "Why are you playing pool before finals?"

"I have my notes memorized."

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...also, I couldn't even process exam questions without a good night's sleep. I couldn't bring myself into focus as to what I was being asked. People felt like the suffering involved in cramming would somehow make them deserve a good grade. I knew it wouldn't work for me, though perhaps it did for some. Oddly, I always knew if I felt really breezy and good about how I did on an exam, I probably didn't do too well, whereas if I was aware of the gaps in my knowledge, that was a signal that I'd done pretty well, maybe better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The more you know, the more you can discern.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jollyroger

jollyroger

Login to Send PM

Business school was easy enough that I could afford the luxury of procastinating. The same could not be said for Comp Sci. It was so heavily math orieted and coding required practice. Memorising was only the very first step and was worthless without complete understanding and knowing how to apply.

I recall working hard all semester long and then had to cram for weeks before the finals and it was still far from easy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's brutal, and ineffective.

In my experience, the best coders are naturals who picked it up by themselves.

The schooling beats the joy in geekdom from many people.

Glad you made it through.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Came in at 39.5 pages, total (which was ok). My summer break finally began yesterday (and runs through the 20th of August).

I spent yesterday putting a new clutch in my Gambler 500 vehicle. I will post a thread about that soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Should head up to Smokey Joe's. I'm free today!

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will make it as far as the Great Wolf Lodge today. that is all. Maybe next time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well.. That IS about half way.. How do they feel about smoking there?

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. jollyroger

jollyroger

Login to Send PM

deathmetal I dig.
    I actually didn't truly enjoy writing code until 3 years into my career when i stumbled onto a colleague who showed me what engineering is all about and how good coders are artists in their field.

From there my curiosity and stubborness took over and I started loving every moment.

The greatest part is the stillness of it all. Not too much human interaction. Thom York put it best with "No alarms and no surprises, silence".

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pappymac, shayde, pipingfool, gandalfspipe, gatorlope, jaytex969, husky, cshubhra, mawp, gerryp, verporchting