Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
Spruning the delights of a night on the town in Riyadh yesterday evening, I filled my Peterson System 31 Straight Billiard with Irish flake and settled back for... Two and a half hours!
I'd overstuffed it a bit and there were plenty of relights, but this little pipe kept going for what must be the longest smoke I have ever had in one go.
The flake was quite dry and folded and stuffed, with the protuding slivers pulled off and laid on top as kindling. I've finally managed to sip properly (after three years!).
Heaven. Normally a flake last me a little over an hour in that pipe (and a lovely Pete it is too).
I was pretty amazed it lasted so long. Was also veeeery relaxed by the time it'd finished.
What's your record?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What flake was it? I'm not sure about how long a smoke I've had with flake, since I often wait between relights

if I'm doing something else, but I don't believe I've had two hours running. Nice going! Sounds like it was about

time for a good smoke.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I've had a two hour smoke with a Peterson tankard and Mick Mcquaid plug,now you have hired the bar :D
Irish Flake is on my to smoke list, although its strength repution proceeds it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That's amazing redstar! The bowl in a Pete 31 is VERY small due to the system trap underneath it - I have one and it's a superb flake pipe, but I wouldn't think you could get 45 minutes from one. Mate - you enter any slow-smoking competitions with that formula and you'll win, hands down! I have an unopened tin of Irish Flake that's due to be popped, so I'll have to use the Pete and see what happens.
Andy

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
Let us know how you get on, Andy!
I have two of these 31s now. Just great for flakes. Was disappointed when the first one arrived as I hadn't realized it'd be so small. Then I filled it with Dunhill Virginia and was quickly won over.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yup. I've found as I've developed both my packing and smoking technique that a pipe is lasting me 2 hours if I'm smoking flake in my favorite pipes...which tend to be Savinelli KS bowls.
Zoinks!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
my favorite pipes...which tend to be Savinelli KS bowls.
I've got an 811 KS dedicated to Latakia Blends ... great pipe.
My longest smoker is still the MM Country Gent ... that barrel shaped bucket just keeps on going!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I guess I'd be right at about two hours... I usually only fill my bowl around 3/4 of the wayso I have to estimate. If I was smoking Capstan out of my Trypis... I hesitate to call it a chimney; it's more like a smokestack... I imagine I could smoke for well over 3 hours, but I'd probably end up sick it that point. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.