Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My First Year

(17 posts)
  1. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just realized that August 28th of last year was when I signed up on this forum. Which means this past year went by way too fast. And brought a lot of changes. I was promoted twice at work. I became a father. I bought a house. And I may have bought a few new pipes and tins to go with it all. What a year.

I've been smoking for about six years now. And a lot of new questions have come up over these years. When I started I was hopeless. I could barely keep a pipe lit, let alone know what blend I was even trying to keep lit. Now I'm settled in with my favorite blends and pipes. My tastes have slowly evolved into what they are today. Don't get me wrong; I will change again. But for now, I'm quite content. Actually, I couldn't be better.

The past year on this forum has changed my entire outlook about pipes. The plethora of knowledge on this board is endless. It's constantly growing, and we're growing with it. And like a fine Virginia, my smoking career has aged. But I'm not ready to pop open that tin just yet. I still have about 13,874 blends to try, and boxes of pipes I want to eventually own. I still have some aging to do.

With that being said, thanks to everyone that's contributed to my smoking career. Thanks to everyone in the past year who has given me advice on techniques and recommendations on blends. And thanks to everyone who will continue to share information and experiences on this forum with the rest of us. I'm going to light up a bowl of Old Dublin later and begin day number 366 on the PM forums.

My soul has had enough chicken soup, it needs more TESD podcast.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sean

Great post, and congrats on making it one year.

Hopefully, many years to follow

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sean: great post -- thanks!

You and I joined PM Forums about the same time. It's nice to accompany you and so many other BOTLs here on our journey.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Sean, thanks for a wonderfully written and edifying post. I'm looking forward to your year #2 also.
    BTW, you are now authorized to wear the Official PipesMagazine.com Propeller Beanie!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice post Sean. I agree this website has greatly increased my knowledge and enjoyment of the the pipe and tobacco hobby. Here's to another year of fine aging.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cortez.

I agree with Cortez, Sean that was a wonderful post and a great recap of your year with pipesmagazine.com. It seems you lived a blessed life with your family and its always nice to hear that on here. To another 120 years my friend. (Its an Arabic saying, 120 years...)

I think it derives from Genesis

Gen. 6:3 Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

Catholic Arabs say this on your birthday, or any special occasion basically meaning may God tolerate and bless you for another 120 years.

Im not that religious i just thought i should explain what i meant lol any how way off topic now. congrats.

Smokey..

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely enjoying the same. I'm barely two years in, so needless to say I learn more than a few things here with this wealth of knowledge. Congrats, and here's to enjoying the next six or seventy years!

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great post, Sean. Enjoy that bowl of Old Dublin - you could do a lot worse!

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cheers Sean! Congrats on a fine year.

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's too many more years on the best pipe site on the web. I know my enjoyment has gone up big time because of this place. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice to have you here Sean.

Here's too many more years on the best pipe site on the web.

+1

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sean, I agree with your view of this forum. Enjoy reading your "no BS" views on pipe issues. Always objective, informative.

--boudreaux
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the well-wishes. Allan, I also hope that I get many more years to enjoy. Roth, you're definitely much more active at posting than I am. Cortez, thanks for the hat. Mike, isn't it weird how much useful information is on here? Smokey, I don't know much about the Arabic numeral system or Genesis, but thanks for the saying. Eric, hopefully we can all make it another twenty years. Jud, you got me started on the stuff, you're partially responsible for the money I spend with Peterson. Ghost, thank you. Harris, this is definitely the best forum on the web. Six, thank you. Boudreaux, thank you.

By the way, if you haven't experienced Old Dublin on a summers eve', you're missing out.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on the 1 year mark!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

Brilliant post....and most importantly, thank you Sean for posting this. A lot of us don't have a lot of fellow pipe smokers to learn from and get advice. The more members here, the more our collective knowledge grows. I appreciate the sentiments in this thread and echo the OP...Thanks to all who have answered questions, given advice, and made me laugh...

I love you guys and gals...haha

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats and thank you for your time here Sean!

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. roadqueen

roadqueen

Login to Send PM

Sean, that is a beautiful post. It's amazing what a year can do. Happy Piping

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole, 3rdguy, pitchfork, burleyboy