PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Just finishing up my first bowl of Dunhill Virginia Flake. All of the reviews I have read are spot on, sweet smooth smoke. I folded the flake and packed too much in my bowl, next time will be better as I have a real thighs draw going, leading to a hot bowl from my puffing, but I like it. It is a refreshing break from my aromatics.
Orlik Golden Slice will be next on my list.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Oh Hunter, I have been around too long for that to be true anymore.
The flake packs a good nicotine punch at the end for this nic wimp.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Dunhill Flake is a pretty tough act to follow as it is an exceptional straight virginia blend. One I'm enjoying right now is Capstan Blue. Burns well, nice smokeable moisture content right out of the tin, very smooth and not a "bitey" VA at all. It's in the same vein as the Dunhill and Orlik you are experimenting with and might be one to add to your list.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I love Virginias, but strangely have never tried Dunhill Virginia Flake! I'll have to give it a try. But I can gladly endorse OGF as I'm a big fan of it, just a wonderful smoke, and priced right too.
Let me apologize ahead of time for this..... About Virginia: we always called her virgin for short, but not for long. :roll:

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Try drying it a bit and maybe rub it out and pack loosely. That should help cut down on heat. Or try the cube cut method.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Never got bit from a Virginia yet. Probably more so with those damnable aromatics with their candy ass syrupy toppings which I will no longer smoke. But hey... that's just me. :wink:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
P.S. Luxury Twist Flake, Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake are all good Virginia flake tobaccos as is Escudo Navy de Luxe. Of course the Bullseye has a bit of Cavendish and the Escudo has a bit of Perique in it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
@gphenry - welcome to the forum. When I saw the title and reference to 'a real thighs draw' I was both excited and confused, but I've settled down now and have to say I LOVE Dunhill Flake and Capstan Blue. I'm a big fan of Virginias (note the s and lack of an apostrophe, please), but these two really hit the spot. Dunhill Flake can be quite bready, but the Capstan has a wonderful fresh taste throughout the smoke. Torque has it just right and CB is particularly good in the Summer. Hope you enjoy the journey.
Andy

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@andy: Thanks for pointing out the "Virginia ... had a real thighs draw". And you're a dreadful person. Dreadful I say!
Back to tobacco. My favorite is Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. Smooth, grassy, a hint of citrus, and inexpensive. An all-day smoke; good stuff.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
. Of course the Bullseye has a bit of Cavendish and the Escudo has a bit of Perique in it.
Bullseye has perique too around a cavendish center. I love G&H bright CR flake, it's smooth, not too strong and has a great almond nutty kind of flavor. Also McClellend's makes some of the best Va's in my opinion.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks for the comments and recommendations. The good thing is that with the holidays coming up, P&C may have another sale sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.