PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The streak of American artisan pipes is over, all of my pipe buys since August 5th of last year have all been from our guys. I have been wanting a Tonni for a while especially after speaking with Yachtexplorer who knows Tonni personally. He told me he makes great smoking pipes and that I do need to own one. I have been looking for one for months but all the ones I have seen that I like were way over my price threshold. So today I get the smokingpipes newsletter and lo and behold there is a Tonni in one of my favorite shapes( bent apple ), with a great blast and with the discount what I consider to be an incredibly good price, so I had to have it. The pipe weighs only 44 grams and is a large group 4.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Very nice pipe Harris I never heard of the maker but knowing you and how you only buy 110% quality pipes you picky man I want one too lol
But seriously it's a beauty hope it smokes well for you.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
GREAT looking pipe, Harris. I think you've surpassed me in collecting American carvers. I'll have to see what I can do about that this weekend in Columbus.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats. I've been tempted by his pipes before -- can't wait to hear how it smokes. I love how his pipes, including this one, are elegant without calling too much attention to themselves. Yet, the more you look at them, the more you realize the perfection he has achieved in a particular shape. That's a lovely shape you've got there and a great ring blast to boot.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
Bigvan, I seriously doubt I have you beat on American artisans, I am only at 25.
smokey, you can read about Tonni here, http://pipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen,_Tonni he has been making pipes a long time and he has learned from some of the best. To find one of this quality for the price, was one of my best scores.
pitch, I am with you, his design and minimalist approach really works for me. His shaping is as good as it gets. I am really psyched to see how this pipe smokes, and will definitely report back.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Very very nice! It was sold by the time I looked through the update or I just missed it. I didn't look that hard since I am focused on the columbus show.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I too saw that pipe and considered it, like others, my cash is being saved for Saturday in Columbus, otherwise that pipe may have been in my racks. I hope it smokes well for you Cigrmaster, it is a very handsome pipe.

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, that is a beautiful piece of briar. I have looked at his stuff before as well and admired it. I am anxious to learn how it smokes for you. I am especially curious to know how open the draft hole is - I have heard that European carvers (at least outside of Italy) prefer a narrower draft hole to the wide open draft holes commonly seen amongst American carvers. My S Bang is on its way and I am anxious to try it out for that reason as well.
Well done.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, I am also very interested to see how it smokes. If he carves like his mentor Former, then the draft should be wide open. I owned 6 Formers and all of them were probably around 4mm. The guy who recommended him to me knows what makes a great smoking pipe and likes his draft holes open as well so I am pretty confident this is going to be a great smoker.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a fantastic shape Harris. I bet it is a wonderful smoker but can't wait to hear how it compares to your other artisan pipes. Very nice pick up. Congratulations!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chris, thanks , I will definitely give a detailed review as soon as I smoke it.
roth, thanks, I know what you mean about that shape, it is so comfy to hold or clench and all of my bent Apples( 3 others) all smoke incredibly well. The Apple shape for my flakes just seems to work so well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tonni started at W.O Larsen and then mentored under Teddy Knudsen and Former, two legends of the Danish pipe making scene. He has been carving a long time and makes some incredible pipes. He gets top dollar for his work and he makes some gorgeous stuff. Check out a few of his pieces here.
http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?detail=24036

http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?detail=24977

http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?detail=21104

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Beautiful pipe. Looks like it will feel great in hand. Tonni now lives and works in Kentucky so maybe your streak is still intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.