PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I have experienced much anticipation for this tobacco and think so highly of it, I thought I'd give a review a shot. **Disclaimer** this comes from a 5 month pipe smoker without a broad base of knowledge or a palate that I think can easily discern what I'm tasting.
This tobacco comes in a roll cake or coin cut and I got it in a 100g tin. The aroma in the tin is sort of like raisins and the odor of(as I recall it from about 20 years ago) the inside of a tobacco barn where leaves are hanging to dry. I just fold and stuff, about 7 coins into a Mr. Brog # 41 pear wood pipe. The beginning was awesome. Full of flavor that is similar to Club blend but sweeter. The sweetness is like a incense in a way. I also get a bitter sweet that I can only compare to molases. I also get a tiny bit of peppery flavor. Mid bowl not much has changed. My pipe is not very hot and my wife says the room note is okay but on the stronger side. Very little tongue bite if any, unlike Club Blend (which I hear is "cousin" to this one) which does bite me a bit. Toward the end, one of the best qualites for this tobacco to me is...Consistency! It pretty much stays the same. It wasn't all over the place. A good steady flavored smoke that really satisfied. I did not get much of a nicotine kick, maybe a tiny bit but not much. It smoked down with a small amount of dottle remaining.
According to Hoyle on this one, I recommend it! This is a high quality aromatic made from VA and Cavendish. If you are looking to move into aromatics that aren't goopy, hot as heck and you want the real tobacco taste to shine give this one a try. It was a Christmas present and I am very happy with it. Thanks for reading.
Dave

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Very good review, and I agree with your opinion, although I wouldn't call Dark Twist an aramatic. You might also like MB's other roll cakes, such as Stockton, Latakia Blend, and Roll Cake. I've been trying all of MB's blends, and have yet to find one that isn't top notch.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Tilt, I did because it does have a top flavoring but I knew some guys would say that it is not. What would you call it then? Just a VA? Sorry, not trying to spread misinformation.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Either way, thanks for the review. The only MacBaren I have tried is Vanilla Cream, but I have a tin of HH Highland blend in my cellar, waiting for that special pipe. I will try the Dark Twist on your description. :puffy:

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Rig, I love Mac Baren tobaccos and almost smoke them exclusively. I do enjoy some others but they pretty much run the gammit and take care of what I seek in a pipe tobacco. They are readily available to me at a local B&M as well which helps...or hurts depending on how you view it.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
dhizzy, from my understanding, most blends are topped with something or other. I consider an aromatic to be one that tastes and smells sweet. Many blends that are called aromatics but aren't overly sweet, I consider to be flavored, rather than aromatic, if that makes any sense.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
It does tilt, thank you. Well, besides my incorrect classification, not bad eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.