PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverendthom

Lurker
Jul 25, 2015
I bought my first pipe just a few days ago while in Dublin. I didn't do any research before buying and did not know that you should be resting a pipe between smokes ... so today I bought another pipe! I found it in an antique store (and probably paid way too much at $28). It is a Dr Grabow El Dorado Adjustomatic.
FrU27gZREY8r4ENEA

https://goo.gl/photos/zugjUGyPuuq5DZbDA
It looks like it's barely been smoked. My pipe of 10 days had more carbon in the bowl than this one.
Unfortunately I've already mucked it up a bit. I thought I'd wipe the stem with a bit of alcohol to get rid of any germs. Immediately the stem seemed to melt almost and change colour ... :(
IMG_20150727_201112731.jpg

https://goo.gl/photos/hbvCTe4Upz3tfoNf8
Maybe if i just lightly sand the stem?
ETA: it seems i can't post pictures? Maybe because I'm a newbie here?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, one time I mistook a highly polished vulcanite stem for a lucite, and gave it a quick sanitizing wipe with some vodka on a rag. Boy, did it take a lot of elbow grease and polishing compound to get that thing back to normal! Try Magic Erasers-they probably won't scratch the stem up as much as even very fine sandpaper.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Welcome to the forum. That's a great looking Eldorado with nice grain. You paid about the average price for an Eldorado.
When alcohol comes in contact with a vulcanite stem, it brings the oxidation to the surface. This is an easy fix and it can be made to look new again. The magic eraser might fix it. Micro mesh pads or 2000 grit and up wetsanding will clean it up.
Careful with alcohol around the wood. It will remove the finish.

reverendthom

Lurker
Jul 25, 2015
Thanks, Dave. Very helpful. I was so excited to get another pipe and then messed it up before i even smoked it. I almost cried haha

Status
Not open for further replies.