PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Below is an un-named (French made) bent bulldog estate I decided to rusticate due to too many blemishes. Turned out pretty good to my eternal surprise. I have read in many places that Dremels have no place in pipe restorations, I would beg to differ.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/mawnansmiff/album/picture/18834
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/mawnansmiff/album/picture/18835
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/mawnansmiff/album/picture/18836
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/mawnansmiff/album/picture/18837
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/mawnansmiff/album/picture/18838
For some reason I cannot post images direct from my album so links will have to do....apologies for that.
Regards,
Jay.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Very nice and professional looking. The even rustication is very impressive.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Looks great. I don't think the issue is with Dremels as much as it is with the hands it is in.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated. The job was done hands free by which I mean the Dremel was held in the workstation (extra purchase) and set so as the tool was fixed in a horizontal position. I then just applied the bowl in a stabbing manner to the burr at a speed of ~ 1500 - 2000 RPM. It took almost an hour using one of the smaller burrs supplied. The finish is nothing other than Kiwi's finest black shoe polish then buffed up using a shoe shine brush.
I've done a few more since then and am getting a bit quicker at it. I have other bits to try out on a scrap pipe to see what sort of finish is achievable, watch this space as they say!
Regards,
Jay.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Nice traditional looking pebbled finish. I'd say you have it figured out.
31-600x399.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice job! With different bursa great variety of rusticated finishes can be done with a Dremel. I like to use dental or jewelry burs that I get on Ebay. They cut better and last longer and are available with a wide variety of cutting end shapes and sizes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ejames, do you have any examples you would be prepared to share? I would love to see what options are available as I have a few estates that a regular refurbish wouldn't improve things too much so rustication would be my only solution.
As an aside, I intend to re_sand the narrow smooth 'collar' by the shank/stem junction back to bare wood just for contrast.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most impressive, a really artful job. Do you have previous experience rusticating pipes with your Dremel, or do you just have the touch? This is decidedly better than many factory-done rustications, and on a par with good artisanal work. Bravo. Boy you revived that pipe from the bone pile.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Kind words MSO, no it was my first attempt though I did try a small patch on an old duffer of a pipe just to see what sort of pattern to expect.
I've only been piping since Sept. last year (30 odd years rolling my own). A pal gave me his entire pipe collection that had sat in his garage for twenty odd years and that gave me a taste for refurbishing pipes. I now scour Ebay looking out for estates to work on.
It should be said I have been an avid reader of Steve Vaug's website Reborn Pipes and have learned much fom the site.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, I'm impressed. :)

Good thinkin' on increasing control by mounting the tool and handling the work piece.

I'll bet that wouldn't occur to most people without shop experience.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My 'shop experience' was many moons ago making doors/door frames, windows/window frames etc out of Brazillian mahogany. As for setting the Dremel fast in the workstation, well it seemed to me to be the easier option. I doubt very much I would have had the same result had I handheld the tool and rusticated that way. Also doing it in the workstation would be a damned sight quicker than handholding the tool, that would take forever.
My way works for me best as I can sort of switch off and go into 'robot' mode :lol:
One tip for anyone wanting to have a go at this is to always set the cutting burr as far into the chuck as you can get away with, that way one has better control and a better 'feel'.
Regards,
Jay.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ejames, do you have any examples you would be prepared to share? I would love to see what options are available as I have a few estates that a regular refurbish wouldn't improve things too much so rustication would be my only solution.

As for setting the Dremel fast in the workstation, well it seemed to me to be the easier option. I doubt very much I would have had the same result had I handheld the tool and rusticated that way. Also doing it in the workstation would be a damned sight quicker than handholding the tool, that would take forever.
This is one source I use for burs. http://stores.ebay.com/jetsjewelerstoolsandsupplies/Burs-Drills-Rotary-Bits-/_i.html?_fsub=2778420014 Tip-don't buy the diamond burs--ain't good for briar--or much else that I have seen. I use a couple of different sizes of the inverted cone,round ball, knife edge and others.Some I use just for rusticating but some are good for quick removal of wood when shaping a pipe in some areas. You may need to buy some different size collets to fit these. I picked up a set of four Dremel collets that fit any bur I have.
I've never used one of the Dremel workstation and do everything freehand. For some,or maybe most of these burs using them freehand will be best--I think,especially when working around the shank bowl juncture on bent pipes. These burs can be VERY aggressive and need a light touch. I have used them to cut brass and aluminum. I also use a flex shaft which seem to be more comfortable than holding the Dremel itself.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
On this pipe I used one of the larger reverse taper cone burs using mainly the bottom of the bur. Over the years I have collected a small box of junk bowls and I use those to work out and practice new rustication patterns. The burs in the pic will do several different patterns depending on the angle it is presented to the wood and what part of the cutting edge is used. This bur will quite easily drill holes through a bowl-if wanted. My Dremel is a variable speed and I always keep the speed as low as possible.

ed-post-rusticated-billiard-2015-10-02-002-1280x931-600x436.jpg

ed-post-rusticated-billiard-2015-10-02-006-1280x4941-600x231.jpg

reverse-taper-bur-2015-10-21-001-800x449-600x336.jpg

reverse-taper-bur-2015-10-21-003-800x450-600x337.jpg

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Thank you sirs for sharing your experirnces.
Ejames: very nice work and more impressive for me cause just yesterday I saw for the first time a Savinelli Lino, a collection whose rustication is very similar to yours, but with a wave movement.
Mawnasmiff: congrats for the appealing workmanship.

For my first rustication I also blocked my dremel in a vise and applied the bowl in a stabbing manner to the burr.

On that time I had just a rather big round head burr and the result was this one:
NZzuHH7.jpg
OxkgdsK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.