PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Hey guys! Sorry for being a bit MIA recently!
I had just gotten my first estate pipe for a nice 7$, and I spent a few hours today working on it. I did a pretty basic job of sanding it down to the grain, cleaning the stem, cleaning the bowl and slapping an oil on the wood. Hope you guys enjoy :)
Before:

Al_OB7f3QCijAzEhyxtv-Q.png

After:

LueX5t4aRPaNuWVlRkjn3g.png

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Looks good, great grain! What did you use on the outside after sanding?

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I used Tru-Oil, something I had leftover from guitar work. But, I had to be very careful it didn't get inside, it's slightly toxic, but nothing horrible if there's little ingestion.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
h2cgKJzwSceJINzn-hzq-g.png

I'm in love with this little thing. I feel so accomplished...

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Looks good. You really got it to lighten up. I'm not sure about the oil finish but you can be proud of your work.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Typical 'natural' finish is simply carnuba polished. The wax is the finish.

I like it better now than it was.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
looks great Vokaa - I'm getting some Tru-oil, pretty sure it's all toxic. I just used some leather die on my first restoration.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
[/quote]What do you mean? You're not a fan of the oil finish?
I didn't say I wasn't a fan of it. I just don't think it is the best choice for a pipe. I love oiled finishes in general (I have rubbed oil finishes on gun stocks. landing nets, pipe racks, the inside of my wooden boat, etc.) and it looks good on your pipe. I just would personally not want to be breathing heated oil directly under my nose every time I smoked the pipe, that's all. Not when there are other, better options.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
How did the other side turn out?
Once I get inside, I'll give ya a picture, it looks the same, just not as good of a grain in my opinion!
I didn't say I wasn't a fan of it.
My bad, I worded my question weirdly, I was asking if you were not a fan not stating you were :P I get what you mean though, it's the only thing I had at the time and I was really eager. Next time I'll try another route, I'm sure.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I agree, nice job. I understand the worry about 'volatiles' but those evaporate. The stuff in tobacco smoke has to be much worse than something on the outside of the stummel could ever be.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like the personalization. I have a FrankenGrabow that I restored, and then put a different spade stem on it, that I want to put my initials on it!

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
So I've realized... I really want to start on the next one now!

Status
Not open for further replies.