Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygh

Lurker
Sep 21, 2016
Thanks to everyone who gave me pointers on the forum. I got a rather well-used Peterson 301 and decided to refinish it. I soaked it in alcohol to strip the finish, performed an alcohol/salt bath to clean the bowl, and micromeshed the stem to get it back to black. I used Fiebing's dye to restain the pipe and then Halcyon II wax for a nice shine. The nickel mount was polished using red tripoli. Overall, it was very straightforward. But, I should have taken more photos of the process....I will do that with my next pipe.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Excellent!
The nickel band looks exactly like pitted aluminum in the before photo! And in the after, it could almost pass for silver. Nice work. Tripoli on a buffer, or by hand?

tygh

Lurker
Sep 21, 2016
jpmcwjr,

I bought a cheap little bench buffer and used some red tripoli. Tried to do it by hand, and could not get it to shine.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Excellent, that type of rustification is hard to restain, you did well!
A note of caution on the Tripoli, it is pretty aggresive. White Diamond would yield the same results with less risk of damage to the stamping. I have Tripoli, but rarely, if ever, use it on pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.