PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Just finished my 4th half "break in" bowl of the Mac Barens London Burley. It still isn't everything I'd hoped for but I finally started getting some really good flavor out of it. I'm terrible at describing this stuff but I'd say I was getting some really good "nutty" flavor out of it. Hopefully once the pipe is more broken in I'll start getting more and more of that but the few times it hit it was really good. Again, smoked all the way to ash on 1 light and it was very cool. I don't have anything to compare it to but $9 for 100g of this stuff is a very good deal IMHO.

Jul 15, 2011
"nutty" is an apt description, in my opinion, but I have also heard people use the word "chocolatey" to describe burley, and I think either one works. Burley is a tasty smoke, at least to me, and I enjoy a lot of burley based blends. Symphony by MacBaren is another good one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've gotta agree with all you guys. For years I systematically avoided Mac Baren tobacco because of their reputation for being bitey.

Then I viewed PipesMagazine's Mac Baren Tour and decided to try Virginia #1 -- just because Per Jensen said it had a reputation for bite,

and I wanted to test the worst case scenario. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Virginia #1 was mild and tasty -- in fact,

I eventually ended-up buying it, and Symphony, Scottish Mixture, and BLB by the pound. Great stuff!
This would never have happened were it not for the PM.com article and video.
There are folks who try Mac Baren blends and find that every one of them stings like a wasp. I guess the pipe smoking world is divided into those who get stung and those who don't; sorta like those who can drink diet cola and those who gag trying to swallow the stuff.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I used to smoke and enjoy McClelland's Va flakes too, but for some reason I drifted away from the brand.

I wish they would slice their flake a little thinner. I think it would improve the packing and burn --

although I haven't a clue as to how that would affect the taste.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
There are folks who try Mac Baren blends and find that every one of them stings like a wasp.

Indeed cortez, I'm one of those unfortunates and it sucks because they do really taste good.
Enjoy your new pipe and burley kami! What pipe is it that your breaking in BTW?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I started with aromatics, too. I just tried Seattle Piipe Club's Plum Pudding for the first time and thought it was great... no bite at all. If this is typical of English blends I think I'm going to become a fan. Can't wait to try some others.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I used to smoke a lot of aromatics. Liked the PS Nougat and French Vanilla. Bought them by the lb. I've since moved on to burleys,mainly OTC's but recently tried Mac Baren Golden Extra. Great stuff.Wanna try the Mac B. Burley London Mix. also.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Older, I'm doing the burley in my savinelli and the virginia in my neerup. Gonna do a full bowl of each today I think.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Currently I am enjoying the following: Plumcake, Dark Twist, Vanilla Cream, H&H Highland Blend - all very, very yummy. No bite on any of these for me.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I did a full bowl a few hours ago of the burley. Very good smoke, no bite at all. I'm gonna try the same thing with the virginia soon...I'm a little more worried about that one because after doing 2 half bowls it felt like I'd drank a scalding cup of coffee. I'll report back in a couple of hours on that.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I had the same experience with some Virginia Ribbon. It burned hot and fast and left my mouth uncomfortable. Be careful to smoke it very slowly. I may try mixing it with some other tobacco I have which is too strong for me to see what happens.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't have much issue with MacB bite, although I know others do. I have read that packing a little more loosely with MacB blends helps reduce bite.

I always have 1 or more MacB open, but frequently they get moved to a jar and out of the rotation for a bit. 100 gms is too much to finish off. But they always come back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.