PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm not a big fan of nose warmer pipes, but once in a while I'll get a smaller pipe and see how I like it. This is my first pipe that measures 4 in. in length. I saw this pipe on eBay, and thought it was really unusual for this maker, a Dr. Grabow! I just recently bought a huge 9 in. pipe that I thought was interesting, so I figured I might as well explore the other end of the spectrum.

This pipe is not something I've ever seen from Dr. Grabow, really short, scalloped bowl top, and a screw stem with the typical stinger/scraper I've seen on the Linkman pipes. A tiny lovat if you will. The bowl top had some bad charring, and some varnish still left on the briar, but other wise it wasn't too bad. Age of pipe, who knows. Strangely, for not being a fan of nose warmers, and stingers, this one really smokes nice! I think the stinger helps because of it's short length. Mustache is still intact, so I'm good to go.
img_02692-600x361.jpg

img_02703-600x360.jpg

img_02722-600x366.jpg

img_0278-600x405.jpg

img_02791-600x414.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Nice pipe Orley! Maybe Ed will chime in and tell us a little about it...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very cool...great looking pipe. From those first two pics I never would have imagined it was a Grabow.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Nice one, congrats. Gave it a thought but passed as I need to downsize. It's small and has a four digit code, likely post war from Linkman's in Chicago, not many examples with a scalloped rim out there.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The first several years I smoked all I had were old Grabows found at yard sales and thrift stores. Never saw anything like that one, very nice!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's worth owning just for the uniqueness to its brand. And in homage to Sparta, N.C., which seems to have the last briar tobacco pipe factory in the U.S. I have a few short pipes, and I think they are especially good for travel or pocket pipes. The compactness and thick shank make them durable for hauling around. That's an extremely elegant finish and a fancy cut brim. I guess the brim would get charred; it would require a expert pipe man or woman to navigate lighting it without singeing the brim a little. But a little char hardly makes a difference in such a handsome pipe. I say you got a winner.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Orley, you've got a great eye! That's a beauty!

The first pipe with a stinger as part of its identity that I found to be acceptable right away, that is, it was not finicky like a Kaywoodie, was on a Grabow Westbrook.

That got me interested in Grabows.

I picked up a Grabow Linkmans and it's got that simple paddle/scoop stinger. It smokes perfectly without special attention.

I think the older briar can be better quality, or that's the impression I have after hours and hours of enjoyable reading and smoking.

dragospiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
This pipe is a pleasure to look at! I also love the bowl rim, very interesting and beautiful! Hope it brings you many good, relaxing smokes!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Gotta love Grabow. I continue to be surprised by old specimens that pop up. That nose warmer is cool as hell! :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That is a nice looking pipe. I recently acquired a couple of nose warmers myself, having avoided them because I felt that the stubby length would yield a hotter smoke. Well, I could find no differences between the smoke in a 4", 6" or 12" long pipe. Bet you will enjoy that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.