Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

My First Real Nose Warmer, From an Unexpected Maker - Pics

(19 posts)
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a big fan of nose warmer pipes, but once in a while I'll get a smaller pipe and see how I like it. This is my first pipe that measures 4 in. in length. I saw this pipe on eBay, and thought it was really unusual for this maker, a Dr. Grabow! I just recently bought a huge 9 in. pipe that I thought was interesting, so I figured I might as well explore the other end of the spectrum.
    This pipe is not something I've ever seen from Dr. Grabow, really short, scalloped bowl top, and a screw stem with the typical stinger/scraper I've seen on the Linkman pipes. A tiny lovat if you will. The bowl top had some bad charring, and some varnish still left on the briar, but other wise it wasn't too bad. Age of pipe, who knows. Strangely, for not being a fan of nose warmers, and stingers, this one really smokes nice! I think the stinger helps because of it's short length. Mustache is still intact, so I'm good to go.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a nice one.

Jason
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Think it is the nicest Grabow I've ever seen, Orley! Congrats!

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe Orley! Maybe Ed will chime in and tell us a little about it...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool...great looking pipe. From those first two pics I never would have imagined it was a Grabow.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Wow, I've never seen a Grabow like that one! Awesome!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice one, congrats. Gave it a thought but passed as I need to downsize. It's small and has a four digit code, likely post war from Linkman's in Chicago, not many examples with a scalloped rim out there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The first several years I smoked all I had were old Grabows found at yard sales and thrift stores. Never saw anything like that one, very nice!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That has a great coolness factor. I'm not a fan of nose warmers but this one is a winner in my book.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's worth owning just for the uniqueness to its brand. And in homage to Sparta, N.C., which seems to have the last briar tobacco pipe factory in the U.S. I have a few short pipes, and I think they are especially good for travel or pocket pipes. The compactness and thick shank make them durable for hauling around. That's an extremely elegant finish and a fancy cut brim. I guess the brim would get charred; it would require a expert pipe man or woman to navigate lighting it without singeing the brim a little. But a little char hardly makes a difference in such a handsome pipe. I say you got a winner.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley, you've got a great eye! That's a beauty!
    The first pipe with a stinger as part of its identity that I found to be acceptable right away, that is, it was not finicky like a Kaywoodie, was on a Grabow Westbrook.
    That got me interested in Grabows.
    I picked up a Grabow Linkmans and it's got that simple paddle/scoop stinger. It smokes perfectly without special attention.
    I think the older briar can be better quality, or that's the impression I have after hours and hours of enjoyable reading and smoking.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think that is a beautiful pipe!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. dragospiper

dragospiper

Login to Send PM

This pipe is a pleasure to look at! I also love the bowl rim, very interesting and beautiful! Hope it brings you many good, relaxing smokes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta love Grabow. I continue to be surprised by old specimens that pop up. That nose warmer is cool as hell!

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've gotta to agree with toobfreak... that's the nicest Dr. Grabow I've seen. That's a great looking pipe. Enjoy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a nice looking pipe. I recently acquired a couple of nose warmers myself, having avoided them because I felt that the stubby length would yield a hotter smoke. Well, I could find no differences between the smoke in a 4", 6" or 12" long pipe. Bet you will enjoy that one.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool!

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. seitz55

seitz55

Login to Send PM

Awesome find!!!

“After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting the pix and bringing this to our attention. I never saw a Grabow like that -- kind of significant.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gorillafly, mso489, ashdigger, brooklynpiper, clickklick, cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123