PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well whoop-de-do, you're probably thinking, another Kaywoodie! So I do have another Kaywoodie I bought some time ago, but it's an odd one. It's stamped "Minaret" Made in England, and has no stinger. A few days ago, while some family was visiting from out of state, we were all hitting any antique shops within 60 miles, and I came up with a cute little apple shape that hadn't been smoked too much, but needed some TLC. I figured for $4 I couldn't really go wrong. Outside of a couple of little nicks, and some poorly done reaming, it cleaned up real nice. Stamped Kaywoodie, Standard, Imported Briar, 80B, and has a 3 hole stinger. Yes, a real made in the US Kaywoodie! The grain is pretty nice too, and near as I can figure, it's probably from sometime in the 1960s.

Any Kaywoodie collectors feel free to weigh in if you think I'm off on the timeframe.

I don't like stingers, but I can't bring myself to cut off one that is so integral to the design and history of the pipe. Going to take it for a test spin in a little bit. Yeah, I know, whoop-de-do.... :puffy:

img_0116-600x386.jpg

img_01182-600x404.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That is a handsome pipe! I saw your Minaret on an earlier post and it's a fine looking pipe too.
Hard to believe at one point Kaywoodie was putting out 10,000 pipes a day!

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Very nice looking pipe. I agree with Al give the 3 hole stinger a chance before you cut it, you may be suprised. I think your dating of the pipe in the 60's is probably spot on. Congrats on a nice Kaywoodie.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks one and all for your feedback on the pipe. I smoked some 1Q in it to try it out, and it smoked pretty darn good, draw wasn't bad either. I wouldn't cut the stinger off at any rate, even if I thought it would smoke better. It's part of the pipe. In fact, I never cut stingers off if they are part of the design of the pipe. If the pipe has a removable stinger, I sometimes remove it and save it in my little box of stingers to use later if needed, or if I sell the pipe. Maybe I'll look for an earlier Kaywoodie with the 4 hole stinger and try it too, as I find Kaywoodie pipe history quite interesting, and the briar seems to be of decent quality. They used to cost more than a Dunhill huh? Verrry interesting..... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.