Tags:   

My First Pipe (Don't Laugh Too Hard)

(17 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by chuckyeageronlsd
  • Latest reply from chuckyeageronlsd
  1. chuckyeageronlsd

chuckyeageronlsd

Login to Send PM

I know it doesn't look real great, don't have much for tools yet. This was made from a found piece of cherry in my neighbors woodpile using hand saws a dremel and a drill press. The bit I carved out of whitetail antler I found in the woods using the dremel and the furrel is made from a piece of found copper pipe I shined up with some steel wool. I know my pipe making game has a long way to go, but it did smoke very well. The biggest problem I had was wood splitting. It was much taller but I cut a split out. It started cracking again so I plugged it and sealed it. Will just keep it around on display because it's my first. Really from my perspective, wood selection was my biggest flaw, not that it was cherry, but that it cracked. It's also my first woodworking project so any tips and hints would be appreciated.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

Looks pretty nice and the antler stem is cool!

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I think that's great! Purely original! Nice job!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. chuckyeageronlsd

chuckyeageronlsd

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback. I do wish I could smoke out of it, but I would rather have it as a conversation piece and try to keep it at least looking nice, than to continue to apply heat and ruin 2+ years of drying wood and days of work. I'm glad you like the antler, it's the direction I want to go in using all raw, naturally occurring materials.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. chuckyeageronlsd

chuckyeageronlsd

Login to Send PM

It would be nice to be guided in the direction of some good tools to have for pipe making, I don't have much, and with no woodworking experience I really have no clue.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

It would be nice to be guided in the direction of some good tools to have for pipe making, I don't have much, and with no woodworking experience I really have no clue.

Check these guys out. Love that antler stem!

Vermont Freehand

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a pipe makers forum (www.pipemakersforum.com) with more info then you will ever need on tools and methods etc.
    I think the fact that you did make something with the materials and tools you had on hand is great, good for you! Hopefully the first of many.

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

I think it's a really cool pipe. I love pipes that can double as weapons.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice. Every pipe maker starts somewhere, and that is a good looking beginning. Keep it up!

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

chuckyeageronlsd - I think it's just great! Kudos to you! Keep 'em coming. - Sherm Natman

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to ask because of your screen name, were you on LSD when you carved it?

Seriously, that antler stem is interesting, like a take on the horn stems you can get. There are plenty of carvers on here who can guide you in the right direction. I'm thinking of the guy in Vietnam specifically, what's his name guys?

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you did a great job. It's interesting, it's one of a kind and you made it yourself...well done.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, you are thinking of bienden, aka "Black Sea". He's got serious skills.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The antler is a daring departure, and the wood looks well-shaped, even if it was unpredictable. You could really work some briar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. chuckyeageronlsd

chuckyeageronlsd

Login to Send PM

The antler is a daring departure, and the wood looks well-shaped, even if it was unpredictable. You could really work some briar.

Mike, you are thinking of bienden, aka "Black Sea". He's got serious skills.

I found the antler and thought I would like it as a bit, the idea just kind of progressed from there.

Black Sea makes some incredible stuff, I've seen some browsing the forum. I can only hope to make pipes that beautiful one day.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Killer cross grain!

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. chuckyeageronlsd

chuckyeageronlsd

Login to Send PM

Are you saying briar is easier to work with? All I had for sanding on this one was a dremel, I now have a belt sander with a 6" wheel. I'm thinking about outfitting the 6" with hook and loop so I can easily change between sanding and buffing.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, oldgeezersmoker, irishearl, cortezattic, greeneyes