PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dublinboy18

Lurker
Apr 25, 2015
Today I smoked a pipe for the first time ever and... wow! It's fantastic and delicious :)
This was actually my first time smoking anything. Never tried cigarettes or cigars. The reason I began smoking was to help me relax a bit more (although I actually found that my heart rate increased significantly...) and to de-stress myself. Being 18 is a nightmare :P I may have been smoking too quickly as I noticed my tongue tingling quite a bit. It was more relaxing to smoke slowly and take longer draws. That's when the flavours really shined :D
I was smoking an aromatic blend which I believe has a rum flavouring with vanilla and spicy fruit! I think it was called connoisseur's choice?

Tasted like cedar wood, spice, musk, leather, honey, oats and vanilla :)
My pipe is a straight briar pipe that was recommended by a nice man in the cigar shop. Not sure on the name, sorry. The smell alone was worth going back to but the flavour was mild. Would like something a bit stronger next :)
Anyways, I got my pipe lighting for about 20 minutes without relighting (not bragging or anything :P) and I thoroughly enjoyed. Will definitely continue. :D
What are your guys stories? Any tips for a beginner like myself?
Have a great week, folk :)

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Welcome to the realm of pipes as well as to the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had here.
Tasted like cedar wood, spice, musk, leather, honey, oats and vanilla
I think if you are getting all of those flavors off of first experience you are ahead of the curve and going to really enjoy all the different tobacco offerings there are out there.
I think getting over the initial frustration of keeping the pipe lit, or being able to pull out flavors is the biggest hurdle. The rest is refining your technique and pallet. (with a little bit of PAD and TAD sprinkled in the mix) PAD=Pipe acquisition disorder / TAD= Tobacco acquisition disorder; you will likely need to know these acronyms :)
I gave up on the pipe once years ago when I first tried them, all I could get was hot air/steam. I later got into cigars which gave me a better idea on how to properly draw to achieve the most flavor. After that light bulb moment, I figured I would try my hand at pipes again and it has been great ever since. I now smoke pipes more often than cigars.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. I am glad to hear your first experience was a good one. You are now on your way to being a gentleman of the highest order. I would suggest just reading as much as you can about everything pipes and tobacco. Here is a site that I still use for tobacco, even after 15 years. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/, the information here is second to none when it comes to all the different types of tobacco on the market. Now it sounds like you need a good pipe to start building your collection. I would recommend grabbing one of these. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rasmussen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=141241
It is a tad pricey but I am sure an 18 year old kid can afford it. lol

dublinboy18

Lurker
Apr 25, 2015
Cigars are probably going to be my next investment :) So expensive, though :( The shop where I bought my pipe do many sampler boxes for less than €70 so I'll see how that goes! The tabaccoist recommended Peterson Old Dublin to me. Have any of you guys tried this? Is it as strong as he was making it out to be? :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tongue burn, probably the beginner's biggest stumbling block, occurs when moisture in the tobacco and in the air saturates the heated gas of the smoke stream and scorches the tongue.
Dry your tobacco a bit more than you think appropriate; do not get too aggressive when igniting your tobacco; and of course, smoke slowly.

In fact, try to cultivate the art of breath-sipping.
You're off to a good start, and I would recommend working your way through the entire line of Peterson tobaccos. G.L. Pease's website,

The Briar & Leaf Chronicles is a good source of information.
Your new hobby/pastime will become ever more rewarding with time -- perhaps the most pleasure you will ever have with you pants on.

Welcome to the pipe smoking fraternity. :clap:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Old Dublin is an incredibly good English blend. When your tobacconist says "strong", he is probably referring to the strength of the flavor, not the strength of the nicotine. Everyone's nic tolerance is different, though, so one man's ass-kicker is another man's "mild".

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's refreshing to hear such a glowing account of ones first pipe smoking experience! If you remember that enjoying the pipe is like preparing our American barbecue, low and slow is the key. Avoiding tongue bite will allow you to continue to enjoy the subtle nuances of the blends you choose to smoke. Welcome to the forums and I'll be watching with interest as you progress.

dublinboy18

Lurker
Apr 25, 2015
Thank you all so much for making me feel so welcome :D You guys are such a friendly community :)
I'd love to hear more of your opinions, advice and stories! How did you guys like your first pipe? Did you get as many flavors?
Yeah I think he meant the taste is strong. I've read a lot of people enjoy it! Would you guys recommend trying the big boys like Samuel Gawith Brown no. 4, 'Happy' Brown Bogie, Irish Flake, Black XX, Tambolka etc...?

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Old Dublin is a great blend. Full bodied, but not harsh at all (soft around the edges) and I don't find it to be high in nicotine content.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You asked for it. My first experience with smoking a pipe was probably when I was a teenager. Smoking, in general, was de rigeur. I can only vaguely recall a few of those times, and sure, I tasted flavors, but I burnt my tongue and I didn't have a clue as to how to enjoy a pipe. I dropped it for a few years, let's say.

Now, I've FOUND enjoyment in this experience, and I encourage anyone to give it a go.

It still took me a week or two after obtaining a Cob and smoking shitty tobacco before I tried something even resembling pipe tobacco and then I checked out online information. Wheee!

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Welcome! Old Dublin is fantastic. I'm pretty new to pipe smoking myself but I found it to be flavourful but smooth and very satisfying all around. I can really feel the Nicotine in it, which is good or bad depending on the situation. As a reformed cig smoker I try to save it for a special treat.
Also, I've found the online community and this site in particular to be extremely helpful. I think I'm light years ahead of where I'd be without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.