PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Okay, so I finished my first pipe Saturday 7/25/15 ... I received a pre drilled block from the wife and kids for my birthday on 6/28/15, they ordered it from Vermont Freehand. I used only rasp's and files and a boat load of sandpapering, started at 100 and ended at 1000 grit, then polished with red tripoli, then white diamond and ended with carnauba wax.

I opted for natural no stain... first off because I don't own any non stained pipes and second because I wanted to see it get darker over time like a meerschaum.
Now on to the actual pipe... I really wanted an egg but a much smaller sleeker one, but as I went further down the briar more and more imperfections were starting to come out. SO I opted to stop and what I thought would be a nice sleet egg turned out more of an Alien egg/pod :lol: . I was very proud of it at first, but the more I look at it the more and more I see the things I should have done differently. BUT she sure smokes nice :P
So without further ado here is the pipe... please be blunt with the criticisms so I can do a better job in the future... trust me I have thick skin :)
First Pipe
EDIT ... sorry I don't have process pic's... I'll definitely take come in the future

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Looks like a perfectly acceptable execution of a freehand to me. No criticisms, but a couple questions.
How well do you think the block was drilled, and are you going to bend the stem, or leave it straight?

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Love the shape and for a 1st time it's damn good! For me I'd bend the stem a little and thin the shank out

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
@aldecaker .... It's drilled pretty damn straight, nice open draw
@drennan ... I think I might try to bend the stem a little, and after looking at it more and more I'm thinking of bringing the shank down a bit
For sure I'm thinking of trying to bend the stem a bit, maybe this weekend
Oh and thanks guys for the kind words

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Captain,

I was reading your post thinking this is going to be a stinker by the way he is talking about the constitution of the briar and being his first pipe. Sir, I have to tell you I would be proud to have that pipe in my collection. Very well done, first time or not. BTW, Alien was the first horror movie I saw as a very young child in the theater and it still scares the shit outta me! :P I love the reference. Oh, and a little bend will go a long way to making that pipe more awesome than it already is.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yep, I'd agree with thinning the shank and bending the stem. You might try using a brass brush- either rotary or hand held to get rid of the bark in the plateau....also, a great resource that will help you as you make more pipes is pipemakersforum.com - lot's of good technique and suggestions there...Nice job!

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I really envy you because my first pipe was not as beautiful as your! I like the way you followed the briar's flame.

Anyway, since you ask it, I want to give you a suggestion, if you can accept it from another beginner who just made a dozen pipes by himself.

I saw some stripes on the back between the bowl and the shank and even on the shank. This is a mistake I made too. Above all when there is an angle is not easy to sand correctly. What I learned is that we need patience and we have to use each sandpaper number untill it reaches the best smoothness it can achieve. I mean, the next number you use to sand cannot clean the imperfection left from the preceeding.

You'll see your ability increasing any new pipe you'll manufacture and after this beginning I think you'll show us beautiful works.

P.S.

Sorry for my english, I am Italian

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Thanks again guys.
@zack24 -
a great resource that will help you as you make more pipes is pipemakersforum.com
Ive tried to join and have sent off two separate emails, its been almost a month now and no word from anyone at that forum.
@lohengrin - This imperfections on the bottom of the shank are the same ones that have been driving me batty... I think I am going to hit it some more with sandpaper and work on getting the shank down... hopefully I'll a chance this weekend.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
:clap: very nice first pipe! I love a natural finish, even with minor blems...looks like it would feel great in hand..the bend might make it more easily clenched?...but sacrifice a little in pipe cleaner passage ease...

well worth it, though..put some nomenclature on it!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Overall nice grain and shape. Looks like you jumped the gun on waxing as I can still see lots of scratches from your file work. Pipe making requires lots of patience, you want to finish it, but you have to be thorough in every stage to get the best outcome. That being said, a good first pipe and the natural finish was a great call too.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
put some nomenclature on it!
- Thinking of using something similar to my avatar, any suggestions?
Looks like you jumped the gun on waxing as I can still see lots of scratches from your file work
Thats the part that really bugs me the most, as mentioned dim going to hit it again to get the scratches out.
Again.. thanks for the kind words everyone... really makes we want to make this one perfect and make more

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Re: nomenclature and subsequent pipes. My thought is to keep it simple and perhaps some sort of numerical code indicating year and grade as well as your own 'brand'.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Looks awesome to me. Hard to believe that's your first effort. I'd be thrilled if I could make one that nice on my 100th try. (and that's why I've never tried.)
Be proud of that piece for sure.

steveva

Lurker
Nov 14, 2013
If this is your first pipe I can't wait to see the 2nd one! Beautiful job for the first time out of the gate. But others have already said it - a slight bend to the stem would bring this to another level and perfectly complement the shape of the bowl. Great Job.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.