12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and maybe my last, ha ha. I just have a drill press and a belt sander in the way of any real woodworking machinery. But, I felt to truly appreciate this hobby, I wanted to know what it was like to make one of these burners. So, a little briar, a little vulcanite, and some sterling silver... I made this thing. There's a few things about the finish that I would do differently, but I'm not selling the thing. It smokes well for my clenching style. I don't intend to make any of these to sell, so I am just showing off :puffy:
My Grandmother told me that my great great grandfather used to carve his pipes out of fruit tree wood, and he'd carve a snake on the stem. So, when I was brainstorming ideas, the snake was the obvious choice.
It has been dedicated to Balkan blends, and I've already smoked a few bowls of GLP's Caravan.
first-pipe.jpg

first-pipe1.jpg

What do you think?

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Very nice, like the flow of the stem and the Cumberland green sets it off !
Always a great touch with your silver work !
Tom

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Elegant design, and the metal work really distinguishes it. It looks like the bowl has

good capacity but the pipe looks quite light weight.

Thanks guys!

Yeh, the nice thing about making my own is that I don't mind going back and asking the maker to make the draft hole a little larger, ha ha. But, I enjoyed the experience of making it, and although I already respect the artisans that make pipes, I feel a little more appreciation for things like getting the draft hole to line up with the chamber and getting the hole in the stem drilled on center. My hat is definitely in my hand with appreciation for the pipemakers of the world.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice work! Nice grain also. Looks like the work of a pro not a first timer. Love the snake tribute to the family. Nice touch.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
If this is your first, you knocked it out of the park sir. I love the snake detail, any tribute to a grandfather is awesome. I love how you brought out the grain, without over playing it. Congrats and we will be looking for more in the future.

Dec 24, 2012
Lovely. You obviously have skill in this area. I think you need to ramp up the shop and start turning these out.
Personally, I have barely enough coordination to smoke a pipe, let alone make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.