PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
So last night I had the pleasure of attending my first pipe club meeting at The Pen and Pencil Club in Philadelphia as part of Morley's Pipe Club. On hand were fellow PM members lestrout and samcoffeeman. It was awesome. You just looked around the table at the hardware (pipes, not guns people) and the piles and PILES of tobacco tins. Many folks shared what they brought and we mainly discussed tobacco, pipes, and samcoffeeman's new haul :)
I want to thank lestrout for the warm invite and thank everyone that let me sample some of their tobacco. Les let me sample some PS Proper English and Balkan Supreme, as well as some C&D Montford Point Marine. All were very good smokes. Also thanks to Sam for sharing his new haul in person with us as well as letting me sample some of that Penzance. Now I see what all of the fuss is about :)
So here are a few shots from last night:
0032-600x450.jpg

0041-600x450.jpg

0072-600x450.jpg

....and Sam's new haul
0053-450x600.jpg

Can't wait to do it again next month!!!!!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Sounds like a great time, glad you enjoyed it. Hope our next meeting goes as well as yours did.

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
Looks like a good time, I'll have to make it there one of these meetings. How bad was traffic/parking?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hey Carbz,
I live in NJ so I take PATCO over. I got dropped off at 16th and Locust and the club isn't a block away, so that really worked for me. There are two garages which bookend the club, but I hate paying for parking if I don't have to.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hey all,
My girlfriend happens to live in Philly and I got I to town late last night. If you know, which is the best tobacconist in town for pipe fans? Looks like a great time last night. Recently had a server recommend pen and pencil club coincidentally.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yaz - glad that you made it to Morley's (after the missed date last month) and since we had a most excellent time, I would gather you did too. That train connection sounds fantastic, and you don't have to worry about the drink'n drive laws. Let me know before next meeting (probably 16May, again a Thursday) where your tobacco travels take you so I can figure what to bring.
carb - parking at the 'bookend' lots is $11 for the evening, less than most of the other lots. Street parking is available too, but don't let the meter expire - the Parking Authority is very diligent. Traffic by 6:00 is good - everybody else is going the other way, leaving town to go home after work and shopping.
linc - I post the monthly Morley meetings on several forums and Facebook - if you could time your G/F visits with the 3rd Wednesdays or Thursdays of the month, you could visit us. We've had numerous visitors from out of town and state, and they all felt very welcome. Several schedule their visits to Philly to link up with Morley's.
BTW, we always have several women attend, and one of them doesn't smoke pipes (she does puff cigars). So your G/F is very welcome, even if she doesn't puff. There are no dues and the hot cooked-to-order meals and bar are the best deal in town.
hp

les

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Oops - the Boston news distracted me (daughter lives several blocks away from the scene, and used to live right across the street where the suspects live) - linc - Holt's Cigars, which is a great cigar store with a wonderful lounge, has pretty good pipes and tobacco selections. They are on Walnut and 16th or so - 2 blocks away from the Pen & Pencil Club.
hp

les

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Les - I did have a great time and plan on making the May 16th meeting as well. As you say, the food and bar is by far the best deal not just in town, but anywhere that has that kind of quality. AND you get to smoke away - total no brainer for me.
I will let you know where my baccy travels take me. I will probably pop that Escudo, the FMOTT, and the 965 My Mixture before then to open everything I have to give me an idea of what I like and what I would like to stock up on.

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
I'm in Plymouth Meeting, a bit NW of the city- my main deterrent is the traffic on 76...it's always horrible.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
It was great meeting you too Sam. My ride at 0545 got shelfed due to me pulling my glute in my right leg last week. I got to sleep in a bit, which was nice since after the train ride I didn't get home until 2345 myself.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I currently live in somers, ct but my girlfriend lives near fifth and south. I tend to come around every month or so. Will also likely check out holt's on Monday. Very excited to find a nice place.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think brdavidson and I are going to have to road-trip.
Looks like an awesome time was had by all. Good on you guys!
-- Pat

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
Sam- I haven't found a good lounge yet. I've been going to the CI in Hamburg for their monthly pipe guild, but it's a bit of a haul. Black Cat is nice- they have an OK selection, but yeah sometimes it's like walking into a wall going in there. The cigar store in Skippack has a great selection of pipes and tobaccos, but I didn't notice any lounge area. My buddy lives in Boyertown and said the cigar store there has an awesome lounge, so I may be headed there to hang out with him once in a while.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, looks like I misssed a packed meeting. I'll try to catch on in the next several months. It's always a pleasure to catch up with Les and know there are a few more guys I'll know.

Status
Not open for further replies.