PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
I started pipesmoking in college back in the late 90's. I went to a tinder box because I didn't know any better and just looke through the seconds they had there. It has been a faithful friend since then. I didn't buy more pipes until 2005 when my delayed PAD hit hard. I had a few pipes for about a couple years and then had to back off and ended up giving away all of my pipes except for this one. I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's not the "best" or most expensive pipe I've ever had, but it is by far the closest to my heart. I'll never get rid of it.
IMG_20120729_194634_1.jpg

IMG_20120729_194707.jpg

IMG_20120729_194726.jpg

IMG_20120729_194742.jpg

edit: forgot to resize the pictures.
Cheers!

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
My first pipe was a ruticated Grabow duke. I still have it, it was my learner pipe. Its so scuffed and charred and just rough all around. Its still in my rotation and I love that thing dearly. Like you said, its not the best or most expensive, but I love the damn thing and wouldnt take 1000 dollars for it!! Welcome abord!

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Looks like you got a good pipe but didn't learn much from the experience. "I went to a tinder box because I didn't know any better"? Than to go to the tinder box? Looks, to me as though you made a great decision that day.

You got a great pipe, and made memories that have lasted. You also obtained something that has significant meaning to you.
Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy, learn and impart knowledge, and wisdom here.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forum.
Nothing like a trusty old friend sometimes. I still have my very cheap first little Czech (except for the two I played with in college 25 years ago). Even though I definitely have more expensive and "nicer" pipes, the little Czech still sits on the rack, still gets smoked regularly and gets the necessary attention to keep it clean and in good shape. So I definitely understand wanting to hang on to it.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
My first pipe was a brylon pipe, and I love/hate that damnable pipe. She is like a she wolverine purring softly from a blackberry patch full of ripe fruit. So tempting, so gentile and so damn wicked. Whenever I look at her she whispers, "Come partake from me and I will treat you with sweet tenderness. Come to me and enjoy the fruits of my bowl." But every time she whips out her claws and gives my fingers and tongue cruel lashings that make me beg her to relent. I curse her and put her away vowing to never give in to her temptress call again only to weeks later think, just like an whipped dog, surely if I would have come to her with a more genteel temperament she would have treated me right. Surely it is my fault and not hers. Damn, burned again.
Yet after all this I will not part with her. She brought me into this wonderful world. She did teach me to be gentle and to sip not suck. I love her, I hate her.

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
Oh I didn't mean to insult Tinder Box, just that I didn't know of any better place to go! The man behind the counter was patient with my questions. When I saw the prices of the pipes under the display cases, I turned to go, but then he pulled out a box of seconds. He said many of them were just as good if you didn't mind a flaw or two. The rest is history.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I wish I still had my first pipe. I don't even remember what it was, I didn't know anything about pipes at the time and loaned it to a friend who got drunk and broke the shank into a few pieces. I threw it out.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Nice pipe! I will never get rid of my first pipe either, no matter how "crappy". :)

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
My first pipe was a gift from my grandad, so I think I will always keep it, just don't smoke it a lot, it's not "high end" but it has nice memories associated, so it's special occasions and only his favourite tobacco goes in it. One of the few areas in life I am sentimental

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
I would also like to clarify that I gave away all but two pipes. The other was a 2005 MacQueen Wizard. I rarely ever smoke it though. It is more of a display pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with that pipe! My first was a willard. Still have it,but a while back I turned it into a tamper. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.