PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
....arrived in the mail today. eBay find. NOS with all the box and accoutrements, and a baggie of Scotty's Butternut Burley ( which will hopefully taste close to what it smells like )
It's an Aran 03 Bent Apple P-Lip. $55 delivered.
042.jpg

037.jpg

Incidentally, it's also the first pipe I have bought in NEW condition.
I ordered a big batch of baccy from 4noggins ( the only place with free shipping to Alaska for orders over $99 ) which is due to arrive Monday. Assorted Peterson tins ( UF, IF and Irish Oak ) plus some Erinmore flake, a 100g tin of Frog Morton and a pound of PS Cube Cut.
What should I break it in with?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Nice pipe. I love the Aran line. I have three of them myself (268, B5, 05). Great smokers, especially for the price. I got huge into Peterson when I first started, but lately the last two pipes I've gotten have been Savinelli. Definitely plan on the next pipe I get being a Pete. Enjoy that one and welcome to the wonderful world of Peterson.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice Pete rcstan, My first Peterson was an Aran XL02 very similar to yours. It's my latakia pipe and it smokes well. I bet you'll be happy with it -enjoy!

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Beautiful pipe, I only have corn cobs. If I could find a Peterson for that price shipped I would snap it up!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
That's a very nice looking pipe and a nice bonus it came with the box and sock! I only have one Peterson, but hope to be adding another when my birthday rolls around.
You asked what you should break it in with. I'd suggest going with the University Flake as it one of my all time favourite tobaccos. Personally, I think that too much is made of "ghosting". I keep a couple of pipes just for the occasional aromatics and another for blends that are heavy on Latakia. But apart from that, I mix and match pipes and blends as the mood takes me. I have never had a problem with ghosting, although some pipes do suit some blends better than others. You have to experiment to find out which is best and most of all - Enjoy!

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
Nice.
thumbs.gif
I've been contemplating a B5 in the Aran finish myself. Enjoy..

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
Aran's are a fantastic smoking pipe and I'd use the Cube Cut for break-in...should give you a nice dry-ish but even caking...just IMHO....

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
That's a beautiful Pete. I like the Aran line too. Not to pricy and the band gives it an extra flare. Just ordered a 408 Plip for St. Patrick's day for myself. Hope you enjoy smoking that sweet pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Thanks all. The baccy should be here Tuesday. I was leaning toward breaking it in with the flakes that are on the way, either UF or IF; I have a pinch or two of Cube Cut laying around but it's going kind of stale so I think it's going to go to "the-jar-of-bottom-sweeps-which-I-give-to-my-neighbor-to-roll-into-cigs".
withnail: I have a "beater briar" which I use for sampling only and it gets religiously cleaned after each smoke. The other briars in the rotation ( 7, not counting the new one ) are smoked 4 bowls each max before a scrub down. And yes, latakia-heavy blends are smoked in a dedicated pipe.

lab1dobie

Might Stick Around
Mar 11, 2012
My first "real" pipe was a Peterson 36 years ago and I still have it! It's still my favorite and best smoker. It's a Peterson system 303. You will get a lot of years out of it. Enjoy!

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Butternutt burly will go nicely with that pipe. Have the same set up with that baccy.

Status
Not open for further replies.