PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
My first new Castello , and a 1976 barely used estate panel. I have to say the first smoke form the Castello confirmed what everyone says about them - the briar does add a sweet taste to the initial smoke. I am seriously tempted to go to the Chicago Pipe show but I am sure it will cost me .
Link
pad.jpg

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
When you cut briar the good stuff has a nice sweet smell. I remember reading something about it on Marty Pulvers site and then when I was cutting one much later I remembered it. Found it interesting.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Nurseman
Excellent choices and congrats on your first PAD attack.
Several members of the forum are going to Chicago-this will be my first time attending a pipe show, and I hear this one is the show of all shows.
I just know its going to cost alot of $$ :)

bambam13

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
Got hit with my first PAD about a two weeks ago, comes in stages for me, but unfortunately I do not have the means to buy a higher end briar or meerschaum, but I do have plenty of cobs and my first pear wood pipes are on their way. :)
Cheers!

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
@ bambam13 - I am planning on adding a pearwood as soon as I find one in panel that I like - I have found that I am lucky that I am not overly impressed with things like how straight the grain is, perfect rings or unusual shapes because they seem to add $$$$ to the price. I chose for financial reasons to obtain panels with random looking rustication or blasts. This focus brings pipes down into what I can afford. Castello has a flame grain panel that Is similar to the one I purchased but 3X the price; I was floored.
The Dunhill is an estate from 1976 with what I believe to be a replacement stem ( with Dunhill I call a replacement stem an upgrade :) ) This Dunhill cost me 25% of the retail and the briar looks like new.
Some of my other pipes are Wessex and Aldo Velani series A and E's that I got new for a song. I just used a 99 cent jewelers file and opened up the draw a bit and they smoke just as well as the Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.